the beach house

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

This is about the happiest I've been since I harvested my first plant in the spring of 16! 🥳 💕 🥳 💕

@MIMedGrower and his short efficient plants were my inspiration, even before I found out his plants were kept short because he had a low-ceiling LOL! nonetheless this is going to be great for me! Don't know exactly how much but I know this will add substantially to my per plant yield too!

I keep them squat for my space but regardless what i am really doing is keeping 2 feet of flowers in the sweet spot.

If i had a taller room i would take the bottom branches off so it is easier to care for the plants. But still train to have 2 feet of canopy. Well I have 30” over the pot.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I take the last of the runoff but right after i pour the last 2 cups in from the gallon. It is actually more important to be consistant in when and the amount of runoff as it really is a tool to show trends. I dont react to one waterings runoff unless I see a real issue with the plant.

Over managing the medium can be much worse.

And i agree with the first water poured through can not always penetrate soil amd flow down the sides.

Scratching up the surface of the dirt or adding a drop of dish soap to the water will help it soften and absorb water.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Just a thought on that whole water channeling thing, probably has some truth to it but I personally don't worry about it

but if you'd like to minimize it at least twice during bloom I take a shish kebab skewer and I poke it about an inch to 2 inch deep about a hundred times all over the top of the soil, & all angled in towards the main stem of the plant;

and that seems to redirect the water, I can't say this is science but this is what I do and I do believe it works
The water that channel's through the medium will have close to the same ph as your input liquid is, that will influence your test and not give a reliable indicator of the soils ph. The water I vacuum out is that influenced water, the water that now leaks out of the medium is more of an indicator of soil conditions because the channeled water is gone.

I believe now that I've done both a deep soil slurry test and run off tests with both test within a couple of points of each other, the deep soil test is more harmful than helpful. A slurry test on a new medium where there are no roots to damage is understandable but to do the test and damage the roots in the process isn't. What difference do a couple of points make in the diagnosing of the mediums conditions? If a slurry test reveals 5.35 and a run off test reads 5.4 - 5.30 who cares your soil ph is too low, time do deal with it regardless of what the actual ph is imho

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The water that channel's through the medium will have close to the same ph as your input liquid is, that will influence your test and not give a reliable indicator of the soils ph. The water I vacuum out is that influenced water, the water that now leaks out of the medium is more of an indicator of soil conditions because the channeled water is gone.

I believe now that I've done both a deep soil slurry test and run off tests with both test within a couple of points of each other, the deep soil test is more harmful than helpful. A slurry test on a new medium where there are no roots to damage is understandable but to do the test and damage the roots in the process isn't. What difference do a couple of points make in the diagnosing of the mediums conditions? If a slurry test reveals 5.35 and a run off test reads 5.4 - 5.30 who cares your soil ph is too low, time do deal with it regardless of what the actual ph is imho

I agree.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Thanks I needed that! lol
We're off to Value Village our 30% off for seniors day..whoo who What grow room goodies can I find today? I've bought 4 newish small oscillating fans over the last few weeks priced at $4.99 less my discount +tax = $4 each. Wife says thats enough but if there's a deal I can't pass up I might end up with another exhaust fan or something else to upgrade my room lol

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

We'll have to agree to disagree on that but the numbers at the beginning and at the end are quite different; the last numbers more closely mirror what is poured in in my opinion and PPM in particular is often hundreds lower than the more accurate first draw from my experience

Here's an experiment: take readings of first and last runoff and then do a slurry test and see which is closer to the slurry results

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

We'll have to agree to disagree on that but the numbers at the beginning and at the end are quite different; the last numbers more closely mirror what is poured in in my opinion and PPM in particular is often hundreds lower than the more accurate first draw from my experience

Here's an experiment: take readings of first and last runoff and then do a slurry test and see which is closer to the slurry results

I have always checked runoff after i pour the last of water or nute mix through i gather about 2 cups and check with my ec meter. It is a truncheon blue lab so rounds off the ec.

When i did a soil test kit it read the same.

And pretty much in buffered potting soil or peat lite mix the fix for ebrythi gbis the same. Leach pots with fresh water and te feed to “re-set” the medium.

It is only as complicated as we make it. We tell new growers not to complicate things and then we do advanced tests on pre miced potting soil?

The only thing that can be wrong is grower error.

But of course we can agree to disagree.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

I have and done that numerous times, The first reading I've taken reads closer to the input waters ph than water that drains after the soil is saturated. The slurry test I took when I had the low soil ph issue read 5.30, early run off gave me 5.80, soil saturated run off gave me 5.35, more of an indication of actual soil ph than the early runoff water. PPM I have no idea about, yet, wife says Christmas.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I have and done that numerous times, The first reading I've taken reads closer to the input waters ph than water that drains after the soil is saturated. The slurry test I took when I had the low soil ph issue read 5.30, early run off gave me 5.80, soil saturated run off gave me 5.35, more of an indication of actual soil ph than the early runoff water. PPM I have no idea about, yet, wife says Christmas.
Well again I've been taught to do it exactly the opposite; take the first of what comes out down near the bottom, once the soil is completely saturated, not from the last that's poured in. I'm going to keep doing it that way but thanks for the input

If a plant blooms for 9 or 10 weeks it might get its runoff checked twice, three times if I feel a need to monitor it, so it's hardly an obsession with me, didn't check it at all for the first year and a half or so that I was growing in soil LOL not sure why I started?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well again I've been taught to do it exactly the opposite; take the first of what comes out down near the bottom, once the soil is completely saturated, not from the last that's poured in. I'm going to keep doing it that way but thanks for the input

If a plant blooms for 9 or 10 weeks it might get its runoff checked twice, three times if I feel a need to monitor it, so it's hardly an obsession with me, didn't check it at all for the first year and a half or so that I was growing in soil LOL not sure why I started?

The last is after the excess is washed out some. And is a good representation of what the plant will see until next time.

Thats why I think all this advanced checking is useless. The results will be different even after the next mix is poured through.

Whats the difference what the slurry says if you are going to pour stuff through anyway?

A top dressing of lime wont be completely activated for a couple weeks so even next weeks slurry is not accurate for long either.

You never know the actual base numbers if micromanaging and adjisting ph.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

I didn't do that on a regular basis until I had the low soil ph you helped me with. Now because it's still low 5.65 moving up slowly each watering I'm testing every feed / water. I'm wondering now that its been about a month since I added the dolomite and the Cherry bomb still has low ph soil would you recommend another tbs to it?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I didn't do that on a regular basis until I had the low soil ph you helped me with. Now because it's still low 5.65 moving up slowly each watering I'm testing every feed / water. I'm wondering now that its been about a month since I added the dolomite and the Cherry bomb still has low ph soil would you recommend another tbs to it?
I didn't check it at all once I started adding the Dolomite to the ffof, it was steady as a rock right around 6.3

But with the extra buffer from that new mix that had 1/3 Pro mix added I still have two plants that are reading 7.2 ! but it doesn't seem to be affecting them as dramatically as the Remo chemo, which by the way are getting trimmed today!

I've been putting trimming off because it was supposed to stop raining but here's the third day of rain in a row so I'll be trimming plants with arthritic hands LOL that's cool though I'm eating a new batch of super strong cookies, I'm already feeling half of one I had with coffee earlier :)

soon: Remo chemo and new Remo crosses pictures to follow!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Remo Chemo (plant#2)
This is the one that hit a hotspot in ffof as a Seedling and has that weird hook to her leaves and will take barely any newts

she's also the strongest Remo and the one I bred with; here she is about to start revegging..
20191120 091140

20191120 095805

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Remo Chemo (#2) × GPS Gunslinger

20191120 130933
20191120 130902

Going to be fun trying this cross; she has an OG Kush type structure, even though she suffered from the high ph and the new newts issue she did pretty fair

if I can fill these gaps in on these two-foot long colas next run I'll be happy!

Both plants bud pictures are before the final trim. (Scissor hash on the popsicle stick)

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Kind work ya love to hate! Looks like ya wet trim ?
Nooooo.. hate trimming!
Bud in those pictures had been trimmed twice, they get trimmed two more times, once more before I hang them (and I don't know why I don't take the pictures then, but it seems I never do) and when dried they get lightly manicured once more before they go in the jar.

They look something like this when they're done..
20191121 044234

After three days of rain and then scrunching myself in the same position with one light over my shoulder the other one above me & the TV in front of me and not moving for 10 straight freaking hours.. I don't even want to think about the arthritis forget about it

Ps. cold & rain haven't been to a beach in over a month those pictures are killing me! :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom