The Crystal Palace is back, now with a Spiderfarmer SE5000.

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
been reading a ton on it, what it's like, how to do it effectively, etc. my biggest reservations right now are:

1. the amount of stress is going to be significant for a while. no way around it. it's not terribly stressful right now, but that is definitely going to change.
2. it's a lot more exposure. if the people i oversee don't perform, or someone quits, it's the manager that is looked at first and foremost. their successes are mine, and their failures are doubly mine.
3. i'll have to fire people at some point. i think that's probably the scariest aspect of such a position. taking away someone's livelihood is not a light thing to consider.

but, the personal impacts i can have on my team will be much more significant, and that's the whole reason i'm doing this. i could likely keep moving up from senior software engineer into staff then principal, but want to try out management for a few years and see if i'm any good at it. worst thing that could happen is i'm an utter failure and decide to go back to slinging code. it's not like a career killing move, ya know.
Think you pretty much nailed it lol. I'd make you a fuckin manager hahaha.

The part that wears on me the most is managing employees that all have strengths and weaknesses, trying to balance the workload to take advantage of those strengths and work around the weaknesses while also providing training to help improve upon those weaknesses.
But key, and you said it, is that their performance reflects on you. So it's really about identifying those strengths and weaknesses. It's no longer about how good could you do their job, it's about helping them become good at their jobs while maintaining a level of respect so they don't turn on ya lol.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

The part that wears on me the most is managing employees that all have strengths and weaknesses, trying to balance the workload to take advantage of those strengths and work around the weaknesses while also providing training to help improve upon those weaknesses.
But key, and you said it, is that their performance reflects on you. So it's really about identifying those strengths and weaknesses. It's no longer about how good could you do their job, it's about helping them become good at their jobs while maintaining a level of respect so they don't turn on ya lol.
Wow... Hi I just stopped in to say hi/by
.I've had a lot of bosses...not many with that attitude, Some wanted us to work and eat lunch at the same time...Do something...Don't just sit on your ass and eat....They didn't get respect or good work ethic's out of us...me anyways....We'd do more work & better quality work for guys we respected than those that we didn't..... I worked out of the IBEW 213 union hall and if we didn't like the job we could just go to the hall look at the job listings and show up at a new site....Days have changed I know but the good employers did will do better in the long run I'd suspect 😁😁

Moshmen

Moshmen

been reading a ton on it, what it's like, how to do it effectively, etc. my biggest reservations right now are:

1. the amount of stress is going to be significant for a while. no way around it. it's not terribly stressful right now, but that is definitely going to change.
2. it's a lot more exposure. if the people i oversee don't perform, or someone quits, it's the manager that is looked at first and foremost. their successes are mine, and their failures are doubly mine.
3. i'll have to fire people at some point. i think that's probably the scariest aspect of such a position. taking away someone's livelihood is not a light thing to consider.

but, the personal impacts i can have on my team will be much more significant, and that's the whole reason i'm doing this. i could likely keep moving up from senior software engineer into staff then principal, but want to try out management for a few years and see if i'm any good at it. worst thing that could happen is i'm an utter failure and decide to go back to slinging code. it's not like a career killing move, ya know.
Depends on if ya like people in general? Before I owned my own business I was a corporate manager in the manufacturing sect. And let me just say in general skilled or unskilled people are stupid imo for every one good employee we went thru 10 easy , gotta imagine it’s worse today? Unless your willing to pay ? I wish ya good luck in your new venture!

Moshmen

Moshmen

Nailed it!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Depends on if ya like people in general? Before I owned my own business I was a corporate manager in the manufacturing sect. And let me just say in general skilled or unskilled people are stupid imo for every one good employee we went thru 10 easy , gotta imagine it’s worse today? Unless your willing to pay ? I wish ya good luck in your new venture!
No you nailed it! 🤣

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Also, I can vouch for that 10:1 ratio. Lol, the golf club i managed had terrible wages and we went through staff like crazy, finding someone both intelligent and capable that would commit was a challenge to say the least.
With my own business I generally use a few reliable people that worked at the golf club over the years, I just pay them properly now. And I subcontract a fair bit also.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
yeah, i'm already realizing as the team lead and training a couple new-to-the-company hires and a couple transfers from other teams that the two new hires are going to take some work. Granted, my field is incredibly technical -- more technical than just your typical website, we maintain what's called the platform which is the underbelly of the backend on which all our various other customer-facing applications run on top of. It's not an area that your run of the mill engineer can easily come into and adapt to quickly, nor are most of your run of the mill engineers suited for the complexities we deal with. The only way we can really gauge if a person is going to be successful on this team are to run em for six months and do a performance review then.

Definitely agree though. I've worked with MIT graduates with phD's in computer science that couldn't fudge their way through basic real-world programming solutions, yet have worked with many like me that are self-taught and are capable of producing absolutely brilliant solutions. interviewing for these kind of skills is incredibly hard, though, so the company is pivoting to evaluating overall technical ability being weighted to about 1/3 of the hiring decision and 2/3 weighted towards culture fit as we can teach anyone what they need to know. but if we can't work with them, we aren't hiring them.

kinda like Google used to do. The make-or-break question each interview committee had to ask themselves was "would i enjoy going out with this person on the weekend and getting shitfaced with them?" if the answer was no, the person didn't get hired.

the company is working on actually getting pay scales up to a truly competitive level, we're in a massive global market and our latest valuation put us at over $1B valuation, so we're starting to make a lot of waves for people interested in working for startups. This should put us in a more competitive position for top talent. Fuck, we're hiring like crazy right now. My team alone is slated to expand by 30 people before the end of the year.

so long we can actually offer competitive pay and benefits, focus on culture fit and find the right level of competence in a handful of individuals it'll work out. otherwise, these "difficult conversations" i keep hearing about are going to be happening more often than not as i'm not going to be held accountable for people that simply aren't capable of meeting the requirements of this team. it sucks, but that's the way it's gotta be. if we fuck up, we literally take out everything and a total outage for us will cost millions for every minute our shit is down.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
They just keep packing on weight. Smell becoming almost noxious, in a good way. Very nice.
20220121 181626

Observationist

Observationist

@Observationist i think your observation is having a bit of miscoordination? You wanna tell me you like that pic but you aint loving it?
LOL! I bet, you wished you could have one?
haha, ya ya: you just wait

i just got little baby flowers right now lol

Last edited:
tobh

tobh

Supporter
What was she down with? Any breathing issues?
No breathing issues, we're not quite sure. She collapsed a few days ago, dizziness, nausea, back pain, slight intermittent headache. No fever, coughing, congestion, etc. So some symptoms of rona but nothing definitive. test came back negative, and she's had vertigo since our daughter was born. we've kept her in isolation just in case though.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

No breathing issues, we're not quite sure. She collapsed a few days ago, dizziness, nausea, back pain, slight intermittent headache. No fever, coughing, congestion, etc. So some symptoms of rona but nothing definitive. test came back negative, and she's had vertigo since our daughter was born. we've kept her in isolation just in case though.
A clove of garlic, smashed, 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon, 1 tblspn raw honey. Mix well, wash down with 2 shots of burbon or drink of choice, but not beer. The hops mess with the anti-biotic properties of the rest. Give her that and an orange then wait 2 hours and see how she feels. Light puffs at most. Better to decarb and eat it.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
A clove of garlic, smashed, 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon, 1 tblspn raw honey. Mix well, wash down with 2 shots of burbon or drink of choice, but not beer. The hops mess with the anti-biotic properties of the rest. Give her that and an orange then wait 2 hours and see how she feels. Light puffs at most. Better to decarb and eat it.
good lookin out.

she lost patience with me and took a bowl to the face through ol smokey. i just about died checking on her. all laid up in bed, eyes so heavy they looked closed, permagrin going on. said the quick dry sample buds smelled like roasted cereal and tasted like smoking crickets lol but she's visibly much more comfortable and happy.

only concern is her symptoms are the same my buddy's dad had about a month ago after his first of a series of three strokes. keeping a damn close eye on her. she has a couple appointments next week to get thoroughly checked out. the hospitals in the area are operating at 150%+ capacity right now so unless someone is shot, stabbed, or straight up dying, they're not accepting anyone. we're on our own for now.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
haha, i dnt know how you know that recipe but that is an ancient one. glass of hot milk mixed with 3tbsp honey mixed with 1egg and drink. best coughing syrup

PK1

PK1

Supporter
@tobh drop ice and an slice of citron in the bowl or if its a pipe put it in a freezer before use for 10 min. That should help with taste and smoke imo

Top Bottom