The Crystal Palace is back, now with a Spiderfarmer SE5000.

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
i was wondering what your speed fans are connected too? they don't run full time even with lights on i've noticed from previous pictures.
Plants look frosty as fawk
They're usually on 24-7, I'm not sure why but sometimes when I snap a pic it looks like they're standing still. Sometimes I just have them off too, I've had them off a couple times while a wrangle plants away from them so they don't get chopped up lol.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I thinks I saw some foxtails in there. Although in ours, we don't care if we get them or not. It's just extra bud.

I guess that depends how loosely you define foxtailing. There is some gnarly bud structure and the tops have shoulders for sure, but its all hard as rock and nothing is really jetting out on its own mission.

I've had a lot of foxtailing in the past, and to me, this ain't that.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I guess that depends how loosely you define foxtailing. There is some gnarly bud structure and the tops have shoulders for sure, but its all hard as rock and nothing is really jetting out on its own mission.

I've had a lot of foxtailing in the past, and to me, this ain't that.
Did you use massive this run?

I thought i was noticing a different bud structure a few weeks ago on the led side, i was half expecting to see alot more cal/mag type thing and more foxtailing on the led side. You do need a bigger room.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Did you use massive this run?

I thought i was noticing a different bud structure a few weeks ago on the led side, i was half expecting to see alot more cal/mag type thing and more foxtailing on the led side. You do need a bigger room.
I did not. I left massive out this run.
And you're eyes weren't lying to you. The buds under the LED look a bit more gnarly and I am seeing some light stress on the leaves under the sf4000. I still wouldn't personally go so far as to say foxtailed, but the individual calyxs are fatter under the LED and it's making the buds look more chunky and misshapen on that side. Buds under HPS all have the classic cone shape.
I haven't seen much of a calcium or mag issue anywhere, but I do use a lot of extra calcium and magnesium anyway so that could be why.

I'll make a much more thorough assessment of the differences between to two sides when it's done. So far though, I personally like the appearance of the buds under the LED better.

Last edited:
Observationist

Observationist

I did not. I left massive out this run.
And you're eyes weren't lying to you. The buds under the LED look a bit more gnarly and I am seeing some light stress on the leaves under the sf4000. I still wouldn't personally go so far as to say foxtailed, but the individual calyxs are fatter under the LED and it's making the buds look more chunky and misshapen on that side. Buds under HPS all have the classic cone shape.
I haven't seen much of a calcium or mag issue anywhere, but I do use a lot of extra calcium and magnesium anyway so that could be why.

I'll make a much more thorough assessment of the differences between to two sides when it's done. So far though, I personally like the appearance of the buds under the LED better.
Just gonna say this

my flowers under a led, the buds are dense and compact, this goes along with bugbee saying that blue light makes the buds grow tighter

wonder if that LED is making them grow a little more compact than than the red spectrum

Observationist

Observationist

That's difficult to assess. This strain is naturally so dense anyways that both sides feel solid as a rock.
Gotcha

only thing I can think of is weighing multiple tops from both sides and seeing averages

that’s fuckin awesome man I wanna be smoking on some of that stuff

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Gotcha

only thing I can think of is weighing multiple tops from both sides and seeing averages

that’s fuckin awesome man I wanna be smoking on some of that stuff
I'll be breaking the crop down into A grade buds like tops and mids, B grade like some of the lower stuff, and then extraction grade, so any branch that's flopped over or larfy shit down below. I'm not going to kid anyone I have some of that going on.but I'm not too bothered by it, it'll all get used.

I plan to evaluate the crop in terms of structure, yield, aroma, flavour, and might even do some vernier size measurements as well as weight measurements of the tops and mids from both sides. Currently it looks like LED is winning in the top and mid size department.

Observationist

Observationist

I'll be breaking the crop down into A grade buds like tops and mids, B grade like some of the lower stuff, and then extraction grade, so any branch that's flopped over or larfy shit down below. I'm not going to kid anyone I have some of that going on.but I'm not too bothered by it, it'll all get used.

I plan to evaluate the crop in terms of structure, yield, aroma, flavour, and might even do some vernier size measurements as well as weight measurements of the tops and mids from both sides. Currently it looks like LED is winning in the top and mid size department.
exciting, getting close to the finish line, starts getting anxious there...

looking forward to this

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Hahaha. Grow is looking really top shelf as per usual.👍
The race between the LED and HID side has been so back and forth😂. I’m guessing they will end up looking, and weighing very similar, especially since it’s a combined lighting grow really. Best of both worlds. Real power, and full spectrum.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Hahaha. Grow is looking really top shelf as per usual.👍
The race between the LED and HID side has been so back and forth😂. I’m guessing they will end up looking, and weighing very similar, especially since it’s a combined lighting grow really. Best of both worlds. Real power, and full spectrum.
Yeah I think you're right. What I think is happening is the LED side is just slightly ahead of the HPS in terms of development and ripening. I could have some variation in ripeness by taking it all down at the same time.
But no doubt the whole room seems to benefit from the blended spectrum. I'm really, really liking this setup. If I were to change anything, I would replace the sf4000 with another SE5000 just to keep things equal, but really, no complaints.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Yeah I think you're right. What I think is happening is the LED side is just slightly ahead of the HPS in terms of development and ripening. I could have some variation in ripeness by taking it all down at the same time.
But no doubt the whole room seems to benefit from the blended spectrum. I'm really, really liking this setup. If I were to change anything, I would replace the sf4000 with another SE5000 just to keep things equal, but really, no complaints.
I’d say 2 se7000 and you would really be flying,
really tho, it gets to a point where it can’t be much better than you’ve got growing, I’ve no experience growing wedding crashers, but yours to me looks to be pretty maxed out potential.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I’d say 2 se7000 and you would really be flying,
really tho, it gets to a point where it can’t be much better than you’ve got growing, I’ve no experience growing wedding crashers, but yours to me looks to be pretty maxed out potential.
Yeah without adding Co2, I'm not sure how much more I need. Ppfd is at 1100 and I could get 1200 from the SE5000 by going a bit closer.

2x 750w DEHPS and 2x SE7000's with AC and Co2 enrichment would be the absolute tits. But I mean.. how much weed do I really need. That's a lot of expense re-outfitting the room to get an extra pound out of here. Just don't see that ROI being worth it. If I were rich though... lol. That's what I'd do.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Yeah without adding Co2, I'm not sure how much more I need. Ppfd is at 1100 and I could get 1200 from the SE5000 by going a bit closer.

2x 750w DEHPS and 2x SE7000's with AC and Co2 enrichment would be the absolute tits. But I mean.. how much weed do I really need. That's a lot of expense re-outfitting the room to get an extra pound out of here. Just don't see that ROI being worth it. If I were rich though... lol. That's what I'd do.
Personal use growing is all about quality, and filling enough jars to keep medicated. You’ve got that In spades. 🔥😎

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Agreed, and I'm not convinced that extra Co2 increases quality as much as it does yield. I don't need more yield. But higher quality is always welcome.
If everything is dialed in, why would a larger yield suffer in quality? The CO2 will push the plants to their limit and as long as the nutes are there, they should grow just as juicy.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
If everything is dialed in, why would a larger yield suffer in quality? The CO2 will push the plants to their limit and as long as the nutes are there, they should grow just as juicy.
Yeah im not saying it would suffer. I'm just saying they don't get any stronger or more terpy, they just get bigger.
As long as the room is dialed in and maxed out for the amount of available Co2, it will reach it's potential in terms of quality.

Top Bottom