This Be How Dirbag Do...

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Never being ashamed to air my mistakes and in keeping with the rule of never a flawless grow... I've got a little tip burn and some signs of overfeeding on a couple plants, which is cool.. cool cool. Still a bit of a learning curve with using new nutes with a different NPK than I'm used to. Not a big deal at this point I dont think, advice to myself is to give them a couple water only feeds at 0.3ec and 6.4 ph with good runoff, and next feeding add a bit of revolution surfactant to loosen up the soil. Interesting that the EC I feed at was fine with floranova but this is twice now pbp has burned my tips using 1.4 -1.5ec, just slightly too much I guess. Lesson learned? lol.
Couple nice standout tops in here, but in general it's all still coming along quite well.

Middle of week 5. Water only night tonight. Curious to see where runoff is at...
20190921 180734

cookies
20190921 180750

Violator
20190921 180800

Srenots

Srenots

Never being ashamed to air my mistakes and in keeping with the rule of never a flawless grow... I've got a little tip burn and some signs of overfeeding on a couple plants, which is cool.. cool cool. Still a bit of a learning curve with using new nutes with a different NPK than I'm used to. Not a big deal at this point I dont think, advice to myself is to give them a couple water only feeds at 0.3ec and 6.4 ph with good runoff, and next feeding add a bit of revolution surfactant to loosen up the soil. Interesting that the EC I feed at was fine with floranova but this is twice now pbp has burned my tips using 1.4 -1.5ec, just slightly too much I guess. Lesson learned? lol.
Couple nice standout tops in here, but in general it's all still coming along quite well.

Middle of week 5. Water only night tonight. Curious to see where runoff is at...View attachment 897747

cookiesView attachment 897748

ViolatorView attachment 897750

all good bro....they are lookin fire man...good to go

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Middle of week 5. Water only night tonight. Curious to see where runoff is at...View attachment 897747

Look great. Dont think you need worry about minor tip burn. But id look to environment. I run 1.4 average between plants 1.6 maybe in stretch a week or three. Flush down like you suggest at 1.8 or however i screwed up.

How big are they?

And man i dont have many plants that i dont over or underfeed especially with changes in the garden.

Your plants look jammin! And so fast this round. I cant get them going like that. Phew!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Oh for sure, I'm not concerned about it. It's not bad and easily correctable at this stage.

The plants are each about 2-2.5 feet tall and 2 feet around with about 16 tops per plant, on average. A couple have one or two more or less. Environment has been pretty dialed in I think, humidity and temp stay pretty constant at 45-55% RH and 22-26 celcius.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

Man they were going so good and now that just look like totally ass. I would just chop it down and pop some autos. 😂

That interesting about the PBP. It's been a couple of years (well like 6 or 7) since I ran it but I remember getting some of my tables to 1200-1300 ppm without problems. Wonder if they changed something in it.

Yeah I always have something go sideways. Drippers, pumps, timers you name it.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
*Posts flawless grow*

Lol I have worse tip burn on seedlings
Lol I'm holding myself to a pretty high standard this round.

Runoff last night was 1.0 in violator and 1.4 for the cookies, matches what I'm seeing as the cookies has the tip burn, violator not so much. But both are high for a 0.3 input. Looks like I need to make some adjustments. Probably going to drop feed to 1.2ec after a couple water feeds and see how they like it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Lol I'm holding myself to a pretty high standard this round.

Runoff last night was 1.0 in violator and 1.4 for the cookies, matches what I'm seeing as the cookies has the tip burn, violator not so much. But both are high for a 0.3 input. Looks like I need to make some adjustments. Probably going to drop feed to 1.2ec after a couple water feeds and see how they like it.

1.2 with my .3 well water is where i drop it to as well if i see the nutrient stress.

I think the old formula of pbp had like 10x the humic acid added. I may supplement to see. They expect us to use liquid karma. But im not a fan of that. I only want seaweed extract amd humic.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah I dont bother with any humic or fulvic anymore being in peat. Tried it a few times and it made zero difference. I think a lot of the leonardite they put in these one part formulas is just to keep the calcium and phosphorus in suspension from binding.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
1.2 with my .3 well water is where i drop it to as well if i see the nutrient stress.

I think the old formula of pbp had like 10x the humic acid added. I may supplement to see. They expect us to use liquid karma. But im not a fan of that. I only want seaweed extract amd humic.

Especially since LK is just a shell of what it used to be

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah I dont bother with any humic or fulvic anymore being in peat. Tried it a few times and it made zero difference. I think a lot of the leonardite they put in these one part formulas is just to keep the calcium and phosphorus in suspension from binding.
Especially since LK is just a shell of what it used to be

I dont remember seeing so many burnt tips in old pbp grow threads. And they mostly used full strength every watering.

With easy to rinse promix i see your point but what about ocean forest? Maybe it could use some help after stretch and at the finish.

I read that there is a preferred ratio of seaweed extract mixed wih humi acid for just this purpose?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I dont remember seeing so many burnt tips in old pbp grow threads. And they mostly used full strength every watering.

With easy to rinse promix i see your point but what about ocean forest? Maybe it could use some help after stretch and at the finish.

I read that there is a preferred ratio of seaweed extract mixed wih humi acid for just this purpose?

I use a 5:2 ratio of HA to SWE on turfgrass at work before going into the hot season for stress reduction. There is certainly a benefit on turf. I'm kind of a, "if its not broke dont fix it" kinda guy and seeing as peat has loads of humic already and my plants seem fine... I do sometimes mix a bit of what's called "sand-aid" into my promix, it's a granular kelp product I also steal from work lol. You dont notice a couple cups missing from 5 50lb bags.. No idea what the ratio works out to though.. But I havent used it in several grows and honestly havent noticed any difference.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I use a 5:2 ratio of HA to SWE on turfgrass at work before going into the hot season for stress reduction. There is certainly a benefit on turf. I'm kind of a, "if its not broke dont fix it" kinda guy and seeing as peat has loads of humic already and my plants seem fine... I do sometimes mix a bit of what's called "sand-aid" into my promix, it's a granular kelp product. No idea what the ratio works out to though.. But I havent used it in several grows and honestly havent noticed any difference.

I think i saw a gallon of what you use pre mixed at the farm feed store. Maybe it will help loosen up the packed ocean forest like the hot turf?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I also have too much iron in my water and get buildup over time that may be the cause. Gets worse in rainy season.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I think i saw a gallon of what you use pre mixed at the farm feed store. Maybe it will help loosen up the packed ocean forest like the hot turf?

Revolution surfactant?

Best thing for loosening up soil is a low dose calcium application applied with surfactant, for sure. I always dose my promix with it halfway through flower as the surfactant that it comes pre charged with is usually worn out by then and the promix will crust up and channel water for the last half of flower otherwise.

Beware though, used on FFOF it may get water into trapped pockets of nutrients and release a lot of food to the plant.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Revolution surfactant?

Best thing for loosening up soil is a low dose calcium application applied with surfactant, for sure. I always dose my promix with it halfway through flower as the surfactant that it comes pre charged with is usually worn out by then and the promix will crust up for the last half of flower otherwise.

No chemical suffections for me bud. Im staying pretty natural.

By the way after all this time still with some gnats arounf looks like the microbe lift bti did the trick in 10 days. 2 drops per gallon at watering. Seemed fine mixed in wih pbp too.

We changed out the yellow sticky cards to monitor but saw no more flyers.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
No chemical suffections for me bud. Im staying pretty natural.

By the way after all this time still with some gnats arounf looks like the microbe lift bti did the trick in 10 days. 2 drops per gallon at watering. Seemed fine mixed in wih pbp too.

We changed out the yellow sticky cards to monitor but saw no more flyers.

Lol ok well something like yucca and calcium carbonate would have the same effect more organically.

But again it could overfeed plants in FFOF by releasing trapped nutrients.

As for kelp meal like sand aid, as far as I know it's not fully understood exactly why it works besides being a micronutrient and food source for beneficial fungal populations. Never really known it to improve compaction issues.

Top Bottom