This Be How Dirbag Do...

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
And glad to hear the BTI worked for you. I've tried mosquito drunks and they had no effect, but I havent had any bugs since I used merit several crops ago. If they come back I'll order some commercial grade BTI for the greens at work and try it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

And glad to hear the BTI worked for you. I've tried mosquito drunks and they had no effect, but I havent had any bugs since I used merit several crops ago. If they come back I'll order some commercial grade BTI for the greens at work and try it.

Dunks didnt do it for me either. 2% concentration vs. 8% for microbe lift I think.

Also the better liquid suspension helps i bet over dried to corn.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

And i thought all the enzymes, sugars and vitamins in products like liquid karma were not neccesary but the seaweed extract and humic acid does help with soil structure.

Silly thought. I never tried liquid karma. Simple to add to the feeds. And made specifically to supplement the pbp.

Hmmmmm. Hate to be a botanicare fanboy. They are owned by scotts and ultimately monsanto but at least have local arizona workers working.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
humic acid certainly helps with maintaining a loose soil structure but it doesnt need a whole lot and it's easy to pass the point of diminishing returns. I'm not sure exogenous humics can prevent, reverse or correct crusting compaction and chaneling as well as a surfactant combined with calcium. Especially in a mix like FFOF that already has a lot of peat and composted humics in it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

humic acid certainly helps with maintaining a loose soil structure but it doesnt need a whole lot and it's easy to pass the point of diminishing returns. I'm not sure exogenous humics can prevent, reverse or correct crusting compaction and chaneling as well as a surfactant combined with calcium. Especially in a mix like FFOF that already has a lot of peat and composted humics in it.

Ok thanks. I will look into it.

And thinking about this it is definitely nutrient or minerals blocking roots cause i can always get the plants greened up some amd growing again. Even at 10 weeks in a #3 nursery pot.

So i guess the large perlite added and me taking care of the medium with top scratching and careful watering and watering cycles is working.

And the iron in my well water may be the culprit as i expect. It seems to happen most in transitional seasons. More ground runoff to my deep well likely. Doesnt change the ec though. But i guess the ratios shift.

Time to shop well pump filtration. Dont know too much. I grew up in neighborhoods with decent city water.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Nice, I didnt realize you were on a well, that's wicked for well water.

And yeah in that situation for nutrient crusting HA and SWE are beneficial for breaking it up and improving utilization, sorry when I was talking about surfactants I'm referring to crusting as in, channeling and dry spots in the media from poor water penetration and absorbtion.

And HA with SWE together in that 5:2 ratio is weird. Together they work better than the sum of either used individually, there is some sort of entourage effect going on there that makes the combination more effective.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Nice, I didnt realize you were on a well, that's wicked for well water.

And yeah in that situation for nutrient crusting HA and SWE are beneficial for breaking it up and improving utilization, sorry when I was talking about surfactants I'm referring to crusting as in, channeling and dry spots in the media from poor water penetration and absorbtion.

And HA with SWE together in that 5:2 ratio is weird. Together they work better than the sum of either used individually, there is some sort of entourage effect going on there that makes the combination more effective.

That is what and why i was considering the liquid karma.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
No chemical suffections for me bud. Im staying pretty natural.

By the way after all this time still with some gnats arounf looks like the microbe lift bti did the trick in 10 days. 2 drops per gallon at watering. Seemed fine mixed in wih pbp too.

We changed out the yellow sticky cards to monitor but saw no more flyers.

I've used Coco-wet for years. A small bottle of it lasts forever. It's organic.

I'm not sure if I would buy LK nowadays. I know they stripped it from what it used to be concentration wise. Ferti-organics sells Fulvic/Humic powder that is pretty good and cheap. I've used the Soluble Fulvic from them.

Customhydronutes sells small sizes of their stuff.

Edit: looks like Ferti will send you samples if you email them.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I've used Coco-wet for years. A small bottle of it lasts forever. It's organic.

I'm not sure if I would buy LK nowadays. I know they stripped it from what it used to be concentration wise. Ferti-organics sells Fulvic/Humic powder that is pretty good and cheap. I've used the Soluble Fulvic from them.

Customhydronutes sells small sizes of their stuff.

Edit: looks like Ferti will send you samples if you email them.

I just figured what they omit from the pure blend pro will still be supplemented with the lk. Has the 5% humic pbp used to. Its .5 now. And extra seaweed extract.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
End of week 5... things are still looking great.
20190923 094052

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Just got back from a visit with my buddy who owns the LP, we had a very interesting discussion about a lot of things...

Long story short.. looks like I'm dry trimming for sure. 100%. No doubts abouts it. They've done a ton of testing in the last year and decided to shift their entire operation over to dry trimming after numerous experiments and lab tests confirmed a much higher concentration of terpenes and even cannabinoids in the finished product when dry trimmed vs wet. I'm officially converted by science.

They arent hanging the whole plant because it takes too long to process, rather theyre removing big leaves and leaving the sugar leaves on, then breaking the plant down to hang individual branches. What surprised me the most is they've determined it's actually slightly faster than wet trimming. They also determined the large fan leaves were far less important to leave on, but what really matters is you need to leave the sugar leaves on the buds, and you need to leave the buds on the stem.

Very cool stuff. I must admit, I love the fact that I have this guy as a good friend. He is such a frickin awesome resource for information.

..Oh man, I am excited about this harvest.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Just got back from a visit with my buddy who owns the LP, we had a very interesting discussion about a lot of things...

Long story short.. looks like I'm dry trimming for sure. 100%. No doubts abouts it. They've done a ton of testing in the last year and decided to shift their entire operation over to dry trimming after numerous experiments and lab tests confirmed a much higher concentration of terpenes and even cannabinoids in the finished product when dry trimmed vs wet. I'm officially converted by science.

They arent hanging the whole plant because it takes too long to process, rather theyre removing big leaves and leaving the sugar leaves on, then breaking the plant down to hang individual branches. What surprised me the most is they've determined it's actually slightly faster than wet trimming. They also determined the large fan leaves were far less important to leave on, but what really matters is you need to leave the sugar leaves on the buds, and you need to leave the buds on the stem.

Very cool stuff. I must admit, I love the fact that I have this guy as a good friend. He is such a frickin awesome resource for information.

I tried wet trimming with net trays and then hanging branches which was better, Slower, first when i was new and soon after compared exactly what you described above and the quality difference was apparent just in flavor and percieved potency by pretty much everyone who tried. Now I know why.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm now wondering if this plays a role in how a plant processes food when fed right to the end. It would possibly explain why your plants burn and taste fine fed to the end and mine suffered slightly when I tried it.

If there is any upside to legal cannabis in Canada, it's the reveal of all this information that were are learning, dispelling myths and putting science behind methods.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Yeah man I usually keep the whole dry trimming thing to myself since that's another one of those 30 page arguments. Cool to see they backed it up with testing. It's great to see the cannabis version of mythbusters. Buddy did that with bleach concentration to make sure it killed PM spores and all that. Lab said above 10.8% to kill everything. Nice to have tidbits like this just wished they were shared more openly.

I notice the smells and flav come out quicker after chop dry trimming. I think once you get adjusted to it you will never wet trim again. I know I didn't except for that last run and that cemented my love for dry trimming after the wet trimming and how it came out.

From the commercial side of it crazy they were wet trimming unless they employ their own trimmers. Usually here wet is by the Hr and Dry is by the Lb if using trim crews.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah man I usually keep the whole dry trimming thing to myself since that's another one of those 30 page arguments. Cool to see they backed it up with testing. It's great to see the cannabis version of mythbusters. Buddy did that with bleach concentration to make sure it killed PM spores and all that. Lab said above 10.8% to kill everything. Nice to have tidbits like this just wished they were shared more openly.

I notice the smells and flav come out quicker after chop dry trimming. I think once you get adjusted to it you will never wet trim again. I know I didn't except for that last run and that cemented my love for dry trimming after the wet trimming and how it came out.

From the commercial side of it crazy they were wet trimming unless they employ their own trimmers. Usually here wet is by the Hr and Dry is by the Lb if using trim crews.

They do employ their own trimmers, it's not a small operation by any means. Last I heard they were well over 3 million watts of lighting alone.
They were bought by another big fish last year for something like 165 million but they still sit on the board.

If you were to ask anyone who smokes the legal LP stuff in Canada who the best LP is, 9 times out of 10 they'll say its my buddies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom