tobh goes swimming Dutch style

• Thread starter tobh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

i thought about that, but I'm concerned about mold. This is one of those evacuate 100% or hope the $300+ dehumidifier i buy is able to keep up. the humidity is wreaking havoc on the servers and other computer equipment the tent shares a room with, so it's time to do something.
Can you tie into a dryer vent? Or is there a window in the space you can block off and use for exhaust?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Can you tie into a dryer vent? Or is there a window in the space you can block off and use for exhaust?

I've thought about using the window, but it's a window that faces the street on the front side of my house, and being the winter.. people might find it odd, ya know. plus, the whole house blowing clouds thing lol

i think at this point my best bet is going to be the dehumidifier. once the cashflow is right, i'll be able to pick one up. until then, just gonna have to tough it out, and hope the computers don't cook themselves in the process.

tobh

tobh

Supporter

Reading that tutorial, the idea of a the window kit for an AC isn't terrible, or setting up the false window. I've considered that. Only problem is to get access to the window where needed would require some.. ingenuity due to where the tent sits. Empty tent, not terribly hard to move. Tent in current order... it ain't movin lol

tobh

tobh

Supporter
In other news, quick update pics. 4th day of 12/12 and starting to see the stretch coming. I'm not holding my breath that the screen will fill 100% but it'll be at least 80% by the time stretch is done. I roasted em a little with the MOAB, so I know for the next application cycles around week 6-7, I'll likely cut it back to 3/4 recommended dose rather than 100% and 50% base nutes.

Water was down about six gallons, pH dropping, ppm's rose to ~1200. Added three gallons of just tap water which should get the pH back up to ~6.5 and drop the ppm's to around 700 or so. They're not complaining, a little lighter than before, but still happy for the most part.

PXL 20210106 013611381

PXL 20210106 013617974

PXL 20210106 013628539

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Ugh. Never been so ready for a run to be done, but not for the typical reason of refilling jars.

This morning, I start my work day. I hear a knocking sound coming from within the tent, and think well shit. Maybe one of the pumps is acting up. So, I crack a door and see site one is overflowing, and a bunch of nutrient solution on the floor of the tent.

The knocking sound was the bucket trying to breathe and since the media and root mass is so dense, it causes a similar sound to water knock in pipes.

I cleaned up the water, and trimmed the little bit of roots protruding from the drain fitting on site one. I also rotated the drain fitting around a couple times, which seems to open things up a bit so adequate flow becomes available again. Overall, lost about 2 gallons of solution and now have to keep a bucket under site one to catch whatever leakage comes from the drain fitting, who's previously water tight seal is now not so water tight.

This is going to be a not-exciting-for-the-right-reasons flower cycle. That's my FML for the day.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Ugh. Never been so ready for a run to be done, but not for the typical reason of refilling jars.

This morning, I start my work day. I hear a knocking sound coming from within the tent, and think well shit. Maybe one of the pumps is acting up. So, I crack a door and see site one is overflowing, and a bunch of nutrient solution on the floor of the tent.

The knocking sound was the bucket trying to breathe and since the media and root mass is so dense, it causes a similar sound to water knock in pipes.

I cleaned up the water, and trimmed the little bit of roots protruding from the drain fitting on site one. I also rotated the drain fitting around a couple times, which seems to open things up a bit so adequate flow becomes available again. Overall, lost about 2 gallons of solution and now have to keep a bucket under site one to catch whatever leakage comes from the drain fitting, who's previously water tight seal is now not so water tight.

This is going to be a not-exciting-for-the-right-reasons flower cycle. That's my FML for the day.
Awe man that’s one hell of a way to start the day. I’ve seen these mesh root bags, i guess you would call them, in other Dutch bucket setups. Even if they were used to just plug the drainage holes they might help keep the roots at bay. Pretty cheap on the amazon.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Awe man that’s one hell of a way to start the day. I’ve seen these mesh root bags, i guess you would call them, in other Dutch bucket setups. Even if they were used to just plug the drainage holes they might help keep the roots at bay. Pretty cheap on the amazon.
Yeah, I saw some cucumber growers using paint strainer bags, which I too am using. Damn things did nothing to prevent the roots from growing through though lol

Fundamentally this system was never designed to have such a long veg period. That's just the truth of it.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Yeah, I saw some cucumber growers using paint strainer bags, which I too am using. Damn things did nothing to prevent the roots from growing through though lol

Fundamentally this system was never designed to have such a long veg period. That's just the truth of it.
Wonder how a smart pot would hold up?
plants are looking great even with the issues you’ve had. Nice work so far man!

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Wonder how a smart pot would hold up?
plants are looking great even with the issues you’ve had. Nice work so far man!
I 100% believe that any material, regardless of what it is, would allow roots through. Since the buckets are water/air tight around the media, I can see the roots penetrating just about anything other than the plastic shell.

As it stands, this has been a great experiment. Awesome first dive into hydro, and I've learned a ton. Granted, I have a laundry list of "things to improve/fix/upgrade" but for a really small budget build, I can't complain with the results so far, and am sir the final results are going to be satisfying enough to try again.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
So on another note, I've wanted to keep either a tokay gecko or poison dart frogs for a while. That being said, I'm thinkin I'm gonna build a bioactive vivarium soon. Keep it in the office since temps and humidity are always near unbearable for a human but those critters will love it, and I'd love to have a small forest hanging out nearby. Should probably start a separate thread for this endeavor, however I'm looking at inspiration and thought I'd document the impulse :D

PK1

PK1

Supporter
In other news, quick update pics. 4th day of 12/12 and starting to see the stretch coming. I'm not holding my breath that the screen will fill 100% but it'll be at least 80% by the time stretch is done. I roasted em a little with the MOAB, so I know for the next application cycles around week 6-7, I'll likely cut it back to 3/4 recommended dose rather than 100% and 50% base nutes.

Water was down about six gallons, pH dropping, ppm's rose to ~1200. Added three gallons of just tap water which should get the pH back up to ~6.5 and drop the ppm's to around 700 or so. They're not complaining, a little lighter than before, but still happy for the most part.

View attachment 1075888
View attachment 1075889
View attachment 1075890
fabulous

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I wound up ordering the Vremi option. The reviews were more sound with 1 star reviewers not really being able the unit failing, moreso just usability issues.

Also, this is more of a note for myself. Starting the flower timer effective today. Stretch is continuing, but bud sites are forming and I'm starting to see the typical clustering that signifies, yes, they're now in flower mode. Four weeks from today, will drop the timer to 11/13 for lights on.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
11/13 is a good schedule.
Agreed. It's what I've finished plants on for years. Slow taper over the few weeks before 12/12, let 12/12 ride till stretch is done and flower in full swing, then 11/13 for the final push. Seems to work well. Not sure about the tapering part, but it has a placebo effect for me haha

Reactions: PK1
PK1

PK1

Supporter
Agreed. It's what I've finished plants on for years. Slow taper over the few weeks before 12/12, let 12/12 ride till stretch is done and flower in full swing, then 11/13 for the final push. Seems to work well. Not sure about the tapering part, but it has a placebo effect for me haha
got ya, last crop i did 11/13 when i flipped from 18/6. not much of stretch but good amount of yield

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Well, the dehumidifier showed up two days earlier than expected. Manual says it has to sit upright for 24 hours before use, so that's what it's doing. This thing is BIG. I was not anticipating a unit this large. We'll see how she does, though.

As for the plants, those damn things are boomin'. I'll snag some pics tomorrow when I figure out where tf I'm gonna put this unit at.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Doing a trial now, running the dehumidifier outside of the tent for now. In 30 min, it's dropped ambient humidity in my office from 76% to 61%, and humidity in the tent from 84% to 71%. I'll likely move it inside the tent later this evening, as I'm running intake and exhaust at full speed atm to try and equalize the environment as best as possible.

It's blowing warm air as well, but warm air is easier to contend with than the issues I've been facing with RH. Now that the plants have set flower well, I'm gunning for optimum conditions this round. I'm partial to believe that last round the terpene profiles were slightly affected by the RH in late flower (near 90%), and luckily between the genetics I ran and adequate airflow I didn't run into PM or mold issues. This round is much more dense, so really trying to avoid giving even more optimal conditions.

Pics later, i promise :)

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Doing a trial now, running the dehumidifier outside of the tent for now. In 30 min, it's dropped ambient humidity in my office from 76% to 61%, and humidity in the tent from 84% to 71%. I'll likely move it inside the tent later this evening, as I'm running intake and exhaust at full speed atm to try and equalize the environment as best as possible.

It's blowing warm air as well, but warm air is easier to contend with than the issues I've been facing with RH. Now that the plants have set flower well, I'm gunning for optimum conditions this round. I'm partial to believe that last round the terpene profiles were slightly affected by the RH in late flower (near 90%), and luckily between the genetics I ran and adequate airflow I didn't run into PM or mold issues. This round is much more dense, so really trying to avoid giving even more optimal conditions.

Pics later, i promise :)
30 minutes later, and down to 60RH, 82F in the tent, leaf temps at 79F per my infrared thermometer. Finally hitting a decent VPD level, first time in months. This thing is kickin ass! An added benefit is my office is actually feeling bearable to sit in again too.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
As promised, pics. Got the dehumidifier in the tent, and tilted the lights nearest the door about 15* so the footprints are hitting more plant and less exposed net. Also did a bit more defoliation. There are some sections near the back I simply can't reach at this point, so will still end up with some larf. Otherwise, things are shaping up to be a big improvement from last run.

PXL 20210114 001627784

PXL 20210114 001633822

PXL 20210114 001642976

PXL 20210114 001705393

Top Bottom