What would you do to boost buds here?

• Thread starter JohnnyGrow309
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JohnnyGrow309

Also is that Blue Dream in one of the pics? Big yielder? I have a pheno I hunted that is a mother plant now. Might turn that into the next crop

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

A pound of plant seems unrealistic for 6 weeks veggie
Pulled 12.8 ozs off 1 plant with a 4 week veg. Very very little defoliation and very little nutrients, pulled 11 ounces off an autoflower, Idk man. Bud structure and size is directly related to genetics. No training, defoliating, or magic snake oil/water is going to make them bigger rhan they are bred to be in my opinion.

J

JohnnyGrow309

Pulled 12.8 ozs off 1 plant with a 4 week veg. Very very little defoliation and very little nutrients, pulled 11 ounces off an autoflower, Idk man. Bud structure and size is directly related to genetics. No training, defoliating, or magic snake oil/water is going to make them bigger rhan they are bred to be in my opinion.
What strains were these? Did u start from seed or clone?

M

MasterCookie

I've tried that before guys. Defoliating less and even not defoliating at all. It made no difference at all other than it left the plant bushy and made it a nightmare to dry. I still remember that hay smell in the drying room. Hard defoliation is definitely the way to go. Was hoping someone has some good tricks to making buds as big as possible but defoliating less or not at all at week 3 is not one of those. Believe me I've tried all methods. This one is the best.
The trick for bigger buds.. are fan leaves.

20221022 223739
TSD

TSD

I do test it dude. This isn't a d*ck measuring contest. I'm growing 300 plants right now. I'm a micro licenser. You're seemingly growing a couple outdoors. Not the same. Lab report came back at average 27%. I'm merely asking for advice and input on how to increase yield. PPM, nutrients I haven't heard of yet, etc. I hut 0.4 pounds per plant last time. Looking to increase to 0.7 if possible. A pound of plant seems unrealistic for 6 weeks veggie
Yeah I get that... I think everyone saying cut less leaves for bigger buds WAS the advice. No, not the same, but the way plants grow doesn't change based on how many you have. Being licensed doesn't impress many, most dispo weed is garbage. I'm really not trying to be an asshole, I just have a real pet peeve with the cut almost every leaf off method, and you came along with that pic paired with that question lol. I defoliate, I train, I keep legs clean... but they need leaves to function. Thank God this isn't a dick measuring contest, I'd surely lose as I have a vagina.

M

MasterCookie

To answer some replies

1: I'm not getting defensive lol I'm literally asking for advice. If anyone is sensing a tone it's coming from their own imagination

2: many growers defoliate heavily like this. As I wrote before I have done less defoliation and no defoliation. This is the best method. Fan leaves are useless at this point and a few of the small ones I don't bother to micro prune will grow in 1-2 weeks. I will upload picture of week 8 of the same strain to show you reference

3: watering until runoff is a mistake imo. This is my first crop where I am watering with smaller portions and my plants are doing better than last crop. I water 1 gallon of water in my 10 gallon pots whenever they get dry. Plants seem happier than watering until runoff

4: Was looking for advice on increasing yields not opinions on my defoliation methods. Only one guy commented an actual nutrient to use for bigger bloom 1

Picture of week 8-9 in September for all the people claiming I shocked my plant. Does this plant look shocked to you?

7 weeks veg at water till runoff twice per day. 1 gal a day feed.
20221105 083932

Madmax

Madmax

Yeah I get that... I think everyone saying cut less leaves for bigger buds WAS the advice. No, not the same, but the way plants grow doesn't change based on how many you have. Being licensed doesn't impress many, most dispo weed is garbage. I'm really not trying to be an asshole, I just have a real pet peeve with the cut almost every leaf off method, and you came along with that pic paired with that question lol. I defoliate, I train, I keep legs clean... but they need leaves to function. Thank God this isn't a dick measuring contest, I'd surely lose as I have a vagina.

Pics 😃

TSD

TSD

Also is that Blue Dream in one of the pics? Big yielder? I have a pheno I hunted that is a mother plant now. Might turn that into the next crop
Me? Super Silver Haze ×2, Black Cherry Punch, Amnesia Lemon x2, Zookies. All from seed.

J

JohnnyGrow309

The trick for bigger buds.. are fan leaves.
I'll give it a run again next crop but last crop I had one room of 60 GG4. 30 with fan leaves, 30 without. I saw zero difference in weight or quality apart from the hay smell during drying. The only drying room that smelled that way was the GG4. I don't think the "all fan leaves" method would stick if a simple half half experiment like I did showed any difference, even a slight one. Maybe this strain I have is simply topped off genetically. I will see when the new crop begins.

M

MasterCookie

I'll give it a run again next crop but last crop I had one room of 60 GG4. 30 with fan leaves, 30 without. I saw zero difference in weight or quality apart from the hay smell during drying. The only drying room that smelled that way was the GG4. I don't think the "all fan leaves" method would stick if a simple half half experiment like I did showed any difference, even a slight one. Maybe this strain I have is simply topped off genetically. I will see when the new crop begins.
Nutrients ratios and quality it what determines size of buds. pH and watering rates affect nutritional stability in the root zone removing alot of plant stresses.
Aeration and proper drainage isn't the same.. I see people use that interchangeably but you can have proper drainage with poor Aeration. Research water table in pots/soil.
But the biggest benefits for bud growth like any other plant is foliage ie fan leaves.
Hay means you are drying to quickly.. too low of humidity or actually little to no sulphur in your nutrient solution. Sulphur is a precursor to terpenes..
Million of reasons.. but you need to share a bit more info on your grows to people to help you more

Reactions: TSD
J

JohnnyGrow309

Nutrients ratios and quality it what determines size of buds. pH and watering rates affect nutritional stability in the root zone removing alot of plant stresses.
Aeration and proper drainage isn't the same.. I see people use that interchangeably but you can have proper drainage with poor Aeration. Research water table in pots/soil.
But the biggest benefits for bud growth like any other plant is foliage ie fan leaves.
Hay means you are drying to quickly.. too low of humidity or actually little to no sulphur in your nutrient solution. Sulphur is a precursor to terpenes..
Million of reasons.. but you need to share a bit more info on your grows to people to help you more
The gg4 was dried over 2 weeks at 60 60. Drying too fast was definitely not the reason. And fan leaves like I said. I will do another half half room again and document it here on the forum woth weights. But the GG4 room showed me fan leaves have absolutely no benefit. In fact I'd argue it created more popcorn as a result

M

MasterCookie

I have no experience in outdoor stuff. What pot size is that and what strain? And Jesus, 1 gallon a day? No mold issues or anything?
15 gal pots. Only coco and perlite.. actually it is 1 gal every watering so it 2 gal a day.. she drink that even in the rain.. and it rains every 5 day every week in my country. Yes I do get mold at times but mother nature gives and she takes.. can't blame her.. for strain it a 3 way cross with grandaddy purple some kind of Gelato.. and I forgot the third.. a friend gave it to me.. the plants didn't grow well.. was my first ever grow.. but I manage to clone it and that's what you see in the pic.

This is a pit of the mother of the plant.
FB IMG 1666234922074

Mother got mold the first time.. had to harvest it very early. Made edibles from her.

J

JohnnyGrow309

15 gal pots. Only coco and perlite.. actually it is 1 gal every watering so it 2 gal a day.. she drink that even in the rain.. and it rains every 5 day every week in my country. Yes I do get mold at times but mother nature gives and she takes.. can't blame her.. for strain it a 3 way cross with grandaddy purple some kind of Gelato.. and I forgot the third.. a friend gave it to me.. the plants didn't grow well.. was my first ever grow.. but I manage to clone it and that's what you see in the pic.

This is a pit of the mother of the plant.View attachment 1301399

Mother got mold the first time.. had to harvest it very early. Made edibles from her.

View attachment 1301400
Ah that makes sense. 15 gallon pot outside will do it. It looked like a 3-5 gallon pot in the picture that's why I freaked out at 2 gallons of water per day. I thought you went mad hombre on us

M

MasterCookie

The gg4 was dried over 2 weeks at 60 60. Drying too fast was definitely not the reason. And fan leaves like I said. I will do another half half room again and document it here on the forum woth weights. But the GG4 room showed me fan leaves have absolutely no benefit. In fact I'd argue it created more popcorn as a result
That's not a result of fan leaves that's a problem with your nutes and watering rate. I know people here that water 14x per day.. coco isn't soil it need.. it is a sponge. It can only squeeze out a max water even though it looks and feel wet to touch you can't remove all the water.. same thing in your pot coco even when it feels wet under a certain saturation the plants cannot extract water and hence can feed itself.

J

JohnnyGrow309

I agree with the dispo weed stuff. I make craft unless I fuck it up (hopefully not) but my point was that it's obviously way harder to dial in the needs of 300 plants at once as opposed to one. You can obviously cater to one plant way better than 300

Latest posts

Top Bottom