curing nug the right way?

• Thread starter 303 DUB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

Not long. I dried for about 3 days this time. (I go by the feel or crispiness of the nugs/leaves). My room stays pretty dry. I have only the one bedroom to do everything in...veg, flower, clone, dry...all except curing now! ;) I use a 2'x2' tent with a drying rack and a 4" exhaust fan and phresh filter. Works great and no issues. I started out hanging them in the tent at first, but decided to try the net, and have been VERY pleased with the results! I was afraid they would dry too quickly, but there's surprisingly not much difference in drying speed between the rack and hanging them. This makes it awful easy too!

View attachment 389440
View attachment 389439

Since I have to do everything in a single room (for now), I can't do ANYTHING the way I always have or would like to! I've had to practically re-learn everything going to a small one-room set-up. Small perpetual grows are no easier to manage than a well planned out larger room with the right equipment, IME. Now...if I only had room for a freezer in there! Hmmm.... haha! Best, -Max

P.S. Thanks again for turning us on to this great curing method!

That's next on my shopping list, a drying rack. Glad You like it , but i think it can be improved. With a longer sublimation, then longer jarring. Gotta love the tastes that it holds .
Respect
TMB

Tnelz

Tnelz

Not long. I dried for about 3 days this time. (I go by the feel or crispiness of the nugs/leaves). My room stays pretty dry. I have only the one bedroom to do everything in...veg, flower, clone, dry...all except curing now! ;) I use a 2'x2' tent with a drying rack and a 4" exhaust fan and phresh filter. Works great and no issues. I started out hanging them in the tent at first, but decided to try the net, and have been VERY pleased with the results! I was afraid they would dry too quickly, but there's surprisingly not much difference in drying speed between the rack and hanging them. This makes it awful easy too!

View attachment 389440
View attachment 389439

Since I have to do everything in a single room (for now), I can't do ANYTHING the way I always have or would like to! I've had to practically re-learn everything going to a small one-room set-up. Small perpetual grows are no easier to manage than a well planned out larger room with the right equipment, IME. Now...if I only had room for a freezer in there! Hmmm.... haha! Best, -Max

P.S. Thanks again for turning us on to this great curing method!
Hey brother. Glad it worked out so well. Your support of the method does a lot. I bet more people give it a shot. As for coffee filters. I use cheap papery paper plates(lol) and they rock. I believe coffee filters would be a step up from that. Good call. Buds would truly have almost no bottom side if u get what I'm saying. Much respect maxy!

Max Frost

Max Frost

Thanks guys! Currently I have a freezer FULL of ROC's Orange x Pineapple and his Black Cherry Soda x Sweet Tooth x C-99 curing out right now! How long would you recommend letting it go? That OxP is straight ass potent fire...just from the tester nugs!!! Can't WAIT to see what the sublimation cure brings out in her!!! Also the BCS cross is one of the most flavorful/aromatic strains I've had the pleasure to grow. It should really be something too! Thanks again guys! TMB!!! Best, -Max

Tnelz

Tnelz

Thanks guys! Currently I have a freezer FULL of ROC's Orange x Pineapple and his Black Cherry Soda x Sweet Tooth x C-99 curing out right now! How long would you recommend letting it go? That OxP is straight ass potent fire...just from the tester nugs!!! Can't WAIT to see what the sublimation cure brings out in her!!! Also the BCS cross is one of the most flavorful/aromatic strains I've had the pleasure to grow. It should really be something too! Thanks again guys! TMB!!! Best, -Max
Hey Max! I'd go as long as u can take waiting. I'm up to thirty days in the freezer and then jars for 14+. Not sure yet but my bet is it will be better than my last which was twenty days. I'll let u know for sure in about ten more days. Tmb

burn4me

burn4me

Thanks guys....my wife is going to kill me now. Going to get a small chest strictly for this. My question is though say i let it go 20 days in freezer then thaw an hour a day for a week. Is it at a nice overall RH before going into jars? Or am i going to have to burp and breathe it to still get it to the magical 60-62%? TIA you guys fucking rock

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

Thanks guys....my wife is going to kill me now. Going to get a small chest strictly for this. My question is though say i let it go 20 days in freezer then thaw an hour a day for a week. Is it at a nice overall RH before going into jars? Or am i going to have to burp and breathe it to still get it to the magical 60-62%? TIA you guys fucking rock

YUP, burp that baby till You reach consistency you desire. Your on right track bro!

Tnelz

Tnelz

Hey bro. For the first few days once they go into jars I use 62% Bovida packs. This entire method was brought to me by garmstwin36. I just experimented a little to take even more guess work out of it. I do exactly what u said above then jar with 2 Bovida packs. After a week I drop it to one pack and after the second week I remove the remaining pack. After that I make sure I open the cover at least once every two days and it's just been perfect. Zero worries. This method takes all the guess work out of things. And the final result is spectacular bro. Good luck and make sure u let us know what you think.

TMB

Myco

Myco

Granted, I didn't scan this entire thread, but in case it hasn't been mentioned - there's a handy little gadget called the Caliper III, it's basically a digital hygrometer that folks in the cigar industry use to monitor RH% in cigar storage/humidors. Works excellent for those with not-so-good feel and eye when it comes to timing into jars.

Also one other point - By reading this thread I think some people might throw their buds in to jars too early, or, drying them too fast. You will see an exceptional increase in quality in general and quality of the cure with the "slow-dry". Too high of temps and too low of RH% causes buds too dry out way too quickly. I believe it also causes a large inconsistency of moisture levels between the center of the flower and the outside, giving the illusion the flowers are ready for jar.... when it actuality you're going to cause the buds to get all funky and weird in the middle and fuck with flavor and aroma.

68-ish, 45-50%ish, 7-9 or so days hanging for highly resinous flowers for me has seemed to give me the best results... Not too dry, not too wet, just right. Once in the jar, remaining and necessary moisture redistributes throughout the flower and enters the curing stage...

My .02.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...in regards to using the Boveda packs.

Behold The Worlds Greatest Cannabis Storage.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/behold-the-worlds-greatest-cannabis-storage.53933/

...oh, and the Caliber III has been upgraded so now you'll get the Caliber IV, ...they are definitely handy to have.

CALIBER IV DIGITAL HYGROMETER 4 CIGAR HUMIDOR

21pn6chiqfL

peace, bozo
http://www.amazon.com/CALIBER-DIGIT...622871&sr=8-1&keywords=caliber+iii+hygrometer

Tnelz

Tnelz

Granted, I didn't scan this entire thread, but in case it hasn't been mentioned - there's a handy little gadget called the Caliper III, it's basically a digital hygrometer that folks in the cigar industry use to monitor RH% in cigar storage/humidors. Works excellent for those with not-so-good feel and eye when it comes to timing into jars.

Also one other point - By reading this thread I think some people might throw their buds in to jars too early, or, drying them too fast. You will see an exceptional increase in quality in general and quality of the cure with the "slow-dry". Too high of temps and too low of RH% causes buds too dry out way too quickly. I believe it also causes a large inconsistency of moisture levels between the center of the flower and the outside, giving the illusion the flowers are ready for jar.... when it actuality you're going to cause the buds to get all funky and weird in the middle and fuck with flavor and aroma.

68-ish, 45-50%ish, 7-9 or so days hanging for highly resinous flowers for me has seemed to give me the best results... Not too dry, not too wet, just right. Once in the jar, remaining and necessary moisture redistributes throughout the flower and enters the curing stage...

My .02.
The thread is mostly about drying ur buds in the freezer. The packs are for after that step. Thanks though bro. Been doing it for years that way now it's all about the frost less freezer.

Tnelz

Tnelz

...in regards to using the Boveda packs.

Behold The Worlds Greatest Cannabis Storage.

...oh, and the Caliber III has been upgraded so now you'll get the Caliber IV, ...they are definitely handy to have.

CALIBER IV DIGITAL HYGROMETER 4 CIGAR HUMIDOR

View attachment 390434

peace, bozo
Thanks bozo! Read the world's greatest storage a while ago. Seems like it would work great. And I have a mondi hygrometer. Same thing. Fits in jars as well. Don't really need it anymore though. By the time buds come out of the freezer all the work is done. Been using those packs just to see and they r working great.

TMB

Tnelz

Tnelz

My .02.
Hey myco! When the post first came out a few of us that use the freezer jumped on and since it's been mostly about that method. Many nonbelievers of which I was one before trying it. It's amazing bro. Give it a shot. I stand by and with what u posted a thousand percent. But doing things this way stops all worry about drying to fast to slow.... In essence it takes all the worries of environment away. Except that of the frost less freezer. All of which are the same. Lol

Peacefrog

Peacefrog

It hasn't been emphasized enough that the freezer method absolutely requires a frost free model to work. You will get icy buds (that turn into moldy buds when taken out of the freezer) with a cheap chest freezer that isn't frost free.

Tnelz

Tnelz

It hasn't been emphasized enough that the freezer method absolutely requires a frost free model to work. You will get icy buds (that turn into moldy buds when taken out of the freezer) with a cheap chest freezer that isn't frost free.
100% correct. I believe it's in most posts but no question u r right. Must be frost less. A few pages back in the thread it was pretty heavily stressed. However good post bro.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Has this been tried in a big scale ? How big :) and I read and enjoy the whole thread .. .although I did not catch what temp and rh for hanging and is there air tranfer going on for hanging? Is it trimmed before freeazrr or after or does it matter? And after the freezer when burping the jars and storing what's too hot like room temp alright 70-75 ?
Danks in advance.

squiggly

squiggly

And actually done CORRECTLY, buds don't freeze Lmfao liquid evaporates with sublimation. If You haven't tried it ,can't judge it! Peace!

Well, strictly speaking the buds are highly water laden and they do freeze.

There are a few things to consider though:

1. Cell structure isn't all that important to the quality of the smoke, to put it plainly it's all getting the same fire.
2. Plant cells resist lysis in freezing temperature due to the presence of cell walls. This is especially true in a frostless environment as the crystalization through the cell wall (from outside to inside) is what causes most lysis to occur in plants.
3. Bringing the temperature down will prevent highly volatile terpenes and flavor molecules from evaporating during drying, a constant concern during the drying process (and the reason it's best to keep temps low during drying).
4. You almost eliminate the possibility for mold doing this.

All that being said it seems like a legit process to me. Ice will sublime below freezing temperature on its own, without even taking the stuff out. The trick would be finding a sweet spot where the sublimation happens most rapidly--you can probably play with the settings on your freezer to get better result.

Too cold and sublimation will proceed VERY slowly, too warm and you won't get any sublimation.

By the time you're actually taking the stuff out, you're not getting sublimation (as this doesn't happen above freezing in water). You're actually melting the ice a bit and allowing it to evaporate--but the 3 weeks of sublimation that have happened in the freezer probably make this much less sketchy than it sounds, as by that time the water content is probably pretty low.

The only con to this is that it makes the drying part of the process much longer, but you're going to be keeping a lot more of the flavor/smell goodies (terpenes) around doing it this way.

The reason you can smell terpenes is that they're evaporating off and entering your nose. If you can smell the bud when you enter a drying room, it's because it's shedding its terpenes--that's bad. Below freezing you'll lose almost none of them.

The scientific explanation here might've been a bit lacking, but the process itself sounds stellar to me. I'm sure there are other pitfalls to avoid (like frost--a high quality frostless freezer is probably a must here)--but overal this sounds like a much better process than hang drying to me.

If I had a frostless freezer I'd definitely try this on my next run.

Top Bottom