curing nug the right way?

• Thread starter 303 DUB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
squiggly

squiggly

Heres something else i just started doing.
Refridgerator Cure.
Meaning i dry my meds same as i previously described and dbl checking and makeing sure i have my proper dry 60-62 percent.
From there its real simple i put the meds in a vac bag and remove the air and seal it and put it in the fridge. Burp when i need some.
This fridge cure is produceing some of the finest quality meds ive ever seen and my peeps are totally freeking out over it. The fridge disperses the moisture evenly thruout the meds at the same time really accentuating the flavor and stank profiles all the while enhanceing them and locking down the sticky.
Ive seen most of the bomb commercial meds available at this point and always wondered what some of these bigger boys where doing to get there shit so proper and can say without a doubt fridge cure is exactly what they r doing im just glad i stumbled on the little gem of a secret on accident.
Do not store in ziplock bag they breathe and the fridge will suck out whatever moisture is left in the meds i learned the hard way lol.
Long as u remove all air and seal that vac bag ur all set.
Heres a fridge cured nug.
View attachment 379311

P.S
I would try the freezer method but my meds dont stick around long enuff to do so.
Peace

The only issue I have with this is the vac. Even in a fridge a vac is going to lower the boiling point for terpenes and could cause a lot of them to run away. Maybe the temp of the fridge is low enough to keep that from happening, but I wouldn't do it personally.

What I can say FOR SURE is absolutely do not put stinky buds in a vac bag at room temperature. Just don't.

squiggly

squiggly

I think I have no frost but if I have water on anything that water will freeze. Example would be if there some condensation on something. I will notice ice on the box. im just trying to grasp how the moisture in the buds doesn't freeze. No wories my friend :) im an old fart lol

The moisture does freeze, that's a matter of physics. It just doesn't matter so long as you're not adding a bunch of frost to the outside--which a frostless freezer won't do.

squiggly

squiggly

Ok guys I'm big apology here...
Sublimation is the transformation from a solid to a gas without going through the liquid phase. that's dry ice...at -104.2 degrees it sublime readily. dry ice is colder than that, by putting it in freezer it sublimes slower...meaning last longer.

Sublimation curing is that you place your bud in Tupperware with dry ice. close lid.(with vent holes) and put in freezer. the gas that is released is CO2 which surrounds the bud...no oxygen... and that's where I was on sublimation curing, not realizing that freeze drying curing has sublimation coined in with it. my bad.

just putting in freezer is freeze dried/cured not sublimation....The CO2 way
and that is the difference here, what you guys are doing. the freeze drying..it works.and its kinda sublimation, only because its...
vaporization... and...freezing temps.
but the TRUE sublimation method with CO2 surrounding the bud is not as good a cure.
and not even the same as urs... the freezer dry/cure

So since you are not doing that... I am just gonna Fut the shuck up... and read on...ehem... keep up the good work...nurse where's my medicine....:oldman:

When you freeze dry something, you freeze water into ice and the reduce the pressure so that it sublimates.

Freeze drying is a sublimation process.

It so happens that water will do this just below freezing, without reducing the pressure (which is good in our case because we want yummy terpenes)--it just happens A LOT slower than in a freeze drying apparatus.

The moisture in the buds actually evaporates before it can freeze as I understand it.

Nope. it freezes then sublimates

Max Frost

Max Frost

Well, strictly speaking the buds are highly water laden and they do freeze.

There are a few things to consider though:

1. Cell structure isn't all that important to the quality of the smoke, to put it plainly it's all getting the same fire.
2. Plant cells resist lysis in freezing temperature due to the presence of cell walls. This is especially true in a frostless environment as the crystalization through the cell wall (from outside to inside) is what causes most lysis to occur in plants.
3. Bringing the temperature down will prevent highly volatile terpenes and flavor molecules from evaporating during drying, a constant concern during the drying process (and the reason it's best to keep temps low during drying).
4. You almost eliminate the possibility for mold doing this.

All that being said it seems like a legit process to me. Ice will sublime below freezing temperature on its own, without even taking the stuff out. The trick would be finding a sweet spot where the sublimation happens most rapidly--you can probably play with the settings on your freezer to get better result.

Too cold and sublimation will proceed VERY slowly, too warm and you won't get any sublimation.

By the time you're actually taking the stuff out, you're not getting sublimation (as this doesn't happen above freezing in water). You're actually melting the ice a bit and allowing it to evaporate--but the 3 weeks of sublimation that have happened in the freezer probably make this much less sketchy than it sounds, as by that time the water content is probably pretty low.

The only con to this is that it makes the drying part of the process much longer, but you're going to be keeping a lot more of the flavor/smell goodies (terpenes) around doing it this way.

The reason you can smell terpenes is that they're evaporating off and entering your nose. If you can smell the bud when you enter a drying room, it's because it's shedding its terpenes--that's bad. Below freezing you'll lose almost none of them.

The scientific explanation here might've been a bit lacking, but the process itself sounds stellar to me. I'm sure there are other pitfalls to avoid (like frost--a high quality frostless freezer is probably a must here)--but overal this sounds like a much better process than hang drying to me.

If I had a frostless freezer I'd definitely try this on my next run.

Well Squig...the scientific explanation might HAVE been a bit lacking...but not anymore! Thank you!! It's good to have that back-up and your opinion. I have found you to be a highly reliable source of great scientific & technical info since becoming a Farm member! (Thanks!)

It IS a great method for small personal use amounts. I guess with big commercial freezers, anything is possible...haha...but I don't see too many cash-croppers shelling out $1000's on big freezer systems to give us all a better cure! ;) It DOES work like a charm tho! I didn't really understand the science behind it. I just had a friend, whose opinion I respect, tell me to try throwing my shit in the freezer for a month and then jar it as usual. I tried it, and got a much better finished product. That was good enough for me to keep using it, but it IS nice to know they why's and wherefore's!

Give this one a try folks! You won't be disappointed! Best, -Max

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

Well, strictly speaking the buds are highly water laden and they do freeze.

There are a few things to consider though:

1. Cell structure isn't all that important to the quality of the smoke, to put it plainly it's all getting the same fire.
2. Plant cells resist lysis in freezing temperature due to the presence of cell walls. This is especially true in a frostless environment as the crystalization through the cell wall (from outside to inside) is what causes most lysis to occur in plants.
3. Bringing the temperature down will prevent highly volatile terpenes and flavor molecules from evaporating during drying, a constant concern during the drying process (and the reason it's best to keep temps low during drying).
4. You almost eliminate the possibility for mold doing this.

All that being said it seems like a legit process to me. Ice will sublime below freezing temperature on its own, without even taking the stuff out. The trick would be finding a sweet spot where the sublimation happens most rapidly--you can probably play with the settings on your freezer to get better result.

Too cold and sublimation will proceed VERY slowly, too warm and you won't get any sublimation.

By the time you're actually taking the stuff out, you're not getting sublimation (as this doesn't happen above freezing in water). You're actually melting the ice a bit and allowing it to evaporate--but the 3 weeks of sublimation that have happened in the freezer probably make this much less sketchy than it sounds, as by that time the water content is probably pretty low.

The only con to this is that it makes the drying part of the process much longer, but you're going to be keeping a lot more of the flavor/smell goodies (terpenes) around doing it this way.

The reason you can smell terpenes is that they're evaporating off and entering your nose. If you can smell the bud when you enter a drying room, it's because it's shedding its terpenes--that's bad. Below freezing you'll lose almost none of them.

The scientific explanation here might've been a bit lacking, but the process itself sounds stellar to me. I'm sure there are other pitfalls to avoid (like frost--a high quality frostless freezer is probably a must here)--but overal this sounds like a much better process than hang drying to me.

If I had a frostless freezer I'd definitely try this on my next run.

Knowledge Brother, Thanks for clearing some things up. Grab a frostless freezer. The taste ALONE is worth the purchase.
Respect

Tnelz

Tnelz

Has this been tried in a big scale ? How big :) and I read and enjoy the whole thread .. .although I did not catch what temp and rh for hanging and is there air tranfer going on for hanging? Is it trimmed before freeazrr or after or does it matter? And after the freezer when burping the jars and storing what's too hot like room temp alright 70-75 ?
Danks in advance.
Much respect to squiggly that was a solid post. Whatever the humidity there is in the freezer I don't know. I would say that rh is probably easily enough found out through an owners manual. So not sure there but it's perfect I'll tell u that. At least in my own experience. There is only air transfer when the door is opened or if the motor is running I would assume. Air movement isn't as important as it is with conventional drying due to the fact no mold grows in the freezer. I personally am now doing for exactly 48 hours. I've been trimming wet then hanging for two days. Then into freezer for thirty days. After thirty out for an hour a day for three days. Then jars. Then jar like u normally would. Ultimately comes out so perfect. Taste smoke potency all great. It's a set it and forget it. Lol. Good luck bro.

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

I been thinking about how to cure my FPOG and I just read this whole tread. Based on what I read and I am going freeze these girls. I want the true taste to come out and this seems like a win win for sure cant wait to post results;)

Gre
So is winterization a whole different topic or does it fit somewhere in here sorry if its a dumb question or redundant. ?...

GREAT question, wonder that myself. Maybe Sqig can chime in.

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

So much to learn
never enough time....
how about a rhyme

In a jar on a shelf
in the closet by itself.
lill seeds.. by breeders
How to threads, with lots of readers.
one thing I know, that's fer certain
terpenes and tricombs stop my hurtin
So, in soil, or coco pots
Thank you buds
we love you lots

CBDEMON

CBDEMON

Huge thanks to @Gamrstwin36 and @Tnelz for sharing this intriguing method with us all! Unconventional indeed, but from what you say about the finished quality when using this method I'm totally willing to invest the time/flowers for a better end result.

Max Frost

Max Frost

Good luck brother. U won't be sorry u tried it unless u have a girlfriend or wife that bitches about no room in the freezer. Lol.

Or that likes to stick her hand in early!! :blackeye:

Reminds me of the old joke (of questionable taste & def NOT politically correct)!

Q: What do you say to a woman with 2 black eyes?

A: You SHOULDN'T have to say anything! She's already been told twice!!!

Well...guess I'll be sleeping on the couch if the gf reads this one! :inpain:

Huge thanks to @Gamrstwin36 and @Tnelz for sharing this intriguing method with us all! Unconventional indeed, but from what you say about the finished quality when using this method I'm totally willing to invest the time/flowers for a better end result.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Thanks brothers!!! Best, -Max

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

Or that likes to stick her hand in early!! :blackeye:

Reminds me of the old joke (of questionable taste & def NOT politically correct)!

Q: What do you say to a woman with 2 black eyes?

A: You SHOULDN'T have to say anything! She's already been told twice!!!

Well...guess I'll be sleeping on the couch if the gf reads this one! :inpain:

ABSOLUTELY!!! Thanks brothers!!! Best, -Max

Laughing about the blk eye's, literally spitting my juiced carrots up brother lol. Hope alls well your in good spirit's and wishes. How's some of your longer cured stuff, using sublimation? Let the farmers know if you could? I think the key is longer cure AFTER the sub.
Tmb
Respect

Max Frost

Max Frost

Laughing about the blk eye's, literally spitting my juiced carrots up brother lol. Hope alls well your in good spirit's and wishes. How's some of your longer cured stuff, using sublimation? Let the farmers know if you could? I think the key is longer cure AFTER the sub.
Tmb
Respect

Sure! The longer the better, IMO. My oldest cured with this method is approaching the 3 or 4 month mark now. I think the first I tried was ROC's Black Cherry Soda x Sweet Tooth x C-99. I also used this method on his bluehaze. There is no question that the sublimation cure (or freeze dry cure...whichever is correct for this method) starts the process, but some jar time really is necessary afterward to finish them off nicely. It's like mine seem to really "open up" & max out in the smell/taste department after about 2-3 weeks. However...it starts coming on after just a few days and just keeps increasing everyday! I do it on ALL my runs now! Hope this helps! Best, -Max

Totally different and unrelated.

I'm actually not familiar with this one at all.

Tnelz

Tnelz

Sure! The longer the better, IMO. My oldest cured with this method is approaching the 3 or 4 month mark now. I think the first I tried was ROC's Black Cherry Soda x Sweet Tooth x C-99. I also used this method on his bluehaze. There is no question that the sublimation cure (or freeze dry cure...whichever is correct for this method) starts the process, but some jar time really is necessary afterward to finish them off nicely. It's like mine seem to really "open up" & max out in the smell/taste department after about 2-3 weeks. However...it starts coming on after just a few days and just keeps increasing everyday! I do it on ALL my runs now! Hope this helps! Best, -Max

I'm actually not familiar with this one at all.
So I'm in agreement with maxy here. I like we'll don't like to but leave buds in the jar for 14 days with a 62% Bovida pack. Then remove the pack and leave for another week minimum. This is just about the time my girl or patients can't wait any longer. However I've let it go another 2 weeks and it just keeps getting better. Leave in jars as long as u can stand it. No question this isn't the fastest method. But if you stick to it u will be rewarded. Good luck to all.

Top Bottom