First Time Grow, looking to do it right.

• Thread starter workngrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

If the goal is airflow through the plant then it seems taking a selective approach is the happy medium.

Wise words. Air flow is great! Keeps the bugs off. I haven't had problem with pests in over a year and the last time was some clones I got from a friend. Keeping on top of pruning and maintenance will save you a lot of headache.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
you've built a very similar system to what i've been architecting for the better part of a year. I'd have done a few things differently, but your setup is obviously working quite well. One of the primary factors that's so appealing to UC is the simple fact that you can cut down nutrient concentrations by nearly 100% of what the feed schedules recommend, and still take advantage of insanely explosive growth rates. One of the metrics for production volume that I've found to be most accurate is not grams per watt, but gpw over time. So, if grower A is able to produce 2gpw in six months, but grower B is able to produce 2gpw in three, which is functioning more economically? Grower B, obviously. RDWC provides many of the advantages of SOG without the high plant count simply by optimizing most of the additional factors.

You can still veg for two weeks and flip to flower.

You can still run lower nutrient levels.

You still end up with equal weight.

You just aren't running a high density of plants in the same space.

AND you're likely saving a ton of money/time/effort AND reducing risk overall.

I don't know how this thread escaped me earlier on, been a busy couple months. Signed up now. @Aqua Man has you on this, just wish he'd get to a point that he could get his system running again. This is his element, 100%.

If you want to see a serious bout of defoliation, check out this thread by @Dirtbag. Seriously aggressive stuff, but the proof is in the pudding.

workngrow

workngrow

you've built a very similar system to what i've been architecting for the better part of a year. I'd have done a few things differently, but your setup is obviously working quite well. One of the primary factors that's so appealing to UC is the simple fact that you can cut down nutrient concentrations by nearly 100% of what the feed schedules recommend, and still take advantage of insanely explosive growth rates. One of the metrics for production volume that I've found to be most accurate is not grams per watt, but gpw over time. So, if grower A is able to produce 2gpw in six months, but grower B is able to produce 2gpw in three, which is functioning more economically? Grower B, obviously. RDWC provides many of the advantages of SOG without the high plant count simply by optimizing most of the additional factors.

I don't know how this thread escaped me earlier on, been a busy couple months. Signed up now. @Aqua Man has you on this, just wish he'd get to a point that he could get his system running again. This is his element, 100%.

If you want to see a serious bout of defoliation, check out this thread by @Dirtbag. Seriously aggressive stuff, but the proof is in the pudding.

Yea most of the time there really isn't a lot of work to be done day to day just mostly fire and forget. Light cycle does most of the work and just using a basic window unit to cool the room around the tent. Temps and humidity inside stay regulated on that alone. It'll be a bit trickier in the winter but I do plan to continue rotations at this point. I think the most effort ive put in so far other than actual construction of the setup and research was this last round of defoliation.

I had considered trying to up the count to 6 sites but I think if I hit the variables right and do the training properly and maybe the right strains I should be able to cover the tent wall to wall with 4 plants instead of 6 and generate a comparable yield in the process. I expect I will get better over the next couple rotations at those.

You mentioned you can veg for as little as 2 weeks and produce the same result?

I also started looking a bit more into co2 and the various methods of doing that (exhale, canisters, oyster mushrooms, actual tanks) I havent thrown a meter in the room yet to just check then co2 ppm and get an idea what it is yet. Most of the fancy instrumentation I want was just too expensive to dump into the project up front but bluelab equipment, co2 meter, moisture meter, PAR meter. All of the analysis equipment adds up quick.

workngrow

workngrow

As far as changes to the build. The long run of PVC connecting the 2 pairs of sites needs to be a tad wider. I made a mistake not factoring in the right sizing for the fittings in the center so the sites have kind of a bowed out look. I have no doubt that caused problems when filling the system indoors, but obsessively tightening the bulkheads over time while filling it to make sure they were tight they havent leaked since the system was initially filled.

I would also set up a bottom drain to fully clear the system.

Also still not using any forced air via pump, all my oxygenation is coming from the 1'' waterfalls. Considering whether or not this is enough or if just tossing in the pump I have would increase the growth speed on top of it. If not for speed of growth, to create some additional churn in the tanks for nute mixing but at 40-50 total gallons, 3'' returns, a pair of 1'' drains in each site and a pump swirling all that at about 800-1000gph the water is moves quick.

Still a lot of ideas swirling around with it.

workngrow

workngrow

Also considering long term just bailing on the tent and expanding to 6 sites anyway. With the build as is it would be as easy as cutting my long run of pvc, tossing a hub in there, 2 more containers. It would only take an hour and probably less than 50 dollars to expand to 6 and increase system volume by only 15-20 gallons. With the already low nutrient cost thats nothing, plus 2 480w lights providing well enough coverage.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Also considering long term just bailing on the tent and expanding to 6 sites anyway. With the build as is it would be as easy as cutting my long run of pvc, tossing a hub in there, 2 more containers. It would only take an hour and probably less than 50 dollars to expand to 6 and increase system volume by only 15-20 gallons. With the already low nutrient cost thats nothing, plus 2 480w lights providing well enough coverage.
Right after this grow is done. Don't play with the environment at this stage. Do that between grows.
Paint all walls high bright white super gloss.

workngrow

workngrow

The air stones are to oxygenate the water and prevent root rot.

Yea just reading through the forums here and elsewhere there have been some good examples of water agitation via waterfall creating sufficient oxygenation without the stones. I use hydroguard to help with root rot etc. I dont have a chiller so sometimes the ambient room temp might spike the water as high as 71/72.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Yea just reading through the forums here and elsewhere there have been some good examples of water agitation via waterfall creating sufficient oxygenation without the stones. I use hydroguard to help with root rot etc. I dont have a chiller so sometimes the ambient room temp might spike the water as high as 71/72.
It's only needed if your levels are too low. watch roots for that info. Any discoloration or patchiness, add air.

workngrow

workngrow

It's only needed if your levels are too low. watch roots for that info. Any discoloration or patchiness, add air.
Yea I did check them earlier out of curiosity, they arent pearly pearly white but more of a slight off white. Not any of that brown looking shit I have seen in some of the threads when something goes wrong. I've been kind of trusting the system and letting things run without checking the root masses a lot.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Yea I did check them earlier out of curiosity, they arent pearly pearly white but more of a slight off white. Not any of that brown looking shit I have seen in some of the threads when something goes wrong. I've been kind of trusting the system and letting things run without checking the root masses a lot.
Check them once a week. That should be enough. More if you think they may be showing signs. They should be more of a cream color.

workngrow

workngrow

As always appreciate all the feedback. I hope to have things pretty well dialed in quickly and avoid minor mistakes. Too much effort to produce a shit results.

workngrow

workngrow

Don't be hard on yourself. I've had grows where everything goes wrong from day 1. It happens. Just know that and you will always be ready for it.
Sexy root mass for you bb. She looks good better than I thought.

Also did some toying with the nutes a bit on this last top off today. One of the plants looks clearly ready for bloom and 3 are just barely starting to show pistils which is fine but it poses rhe question when to start giving bloom nutes.

So after looking at the labels between the jacks part b and the bloom they both have a similar nutrient mix. Same nufes just in different percentages. So this last top off I kept the dosage of the a and b to a normal percentage of full dose like usual and gave a 25 pct dose of the bloom to up the phosphorus a bit.

My logic is to start adding in some of the benefits of using the bloom with the added phosphorus while still trying to maintain a relative balance because the other 3 plants are moving a bit slower.

I'm expecting the ppm to land somewhere around 650 to 700 now with the addition of a touch of bloom and a full amount of silica.

20210618 163344
workngrow

workngrow

Got the ppm tight at 605. So hit the target pretty well with a blend of all the nutes while still including the bloom in the base mix to start adding some more phos. Since the 3 are taking their sweet time prob wait another week while they continue to develop before flushing and running full regiment of bloom.

workngrow

workngrow

@Aqua Man I know the flowering tent is supposed to not have any light leaks but what about small status lights on devices in the tent? Like a red switch on a power strip or tiny dull led status light on a fan?

workngrow

workngrow

I just put electrical tape over any that are not green.
Alrighty, was taking a look at the setup at lights out the other night and noticed some, did cover them but obv duct tape is a bit too translucent, it doesnt contain it well enough to block completely. The tents still super dark but was curious as to how impactful.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Alrighty, was taking a look at the setup at lights out the other night and noticed some, did cover them but obv duct tape is a bit too translucent, it doesnt contain it well enough to block completely. The tents still super dark but was curious as to how impactful.
I just dont risk it. It's probably OK but probably can lead to disappointment šŸ˜

Top Bottom