Grow Room design-RDWC questions and ideas

• Thread starter Cool_Beans
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

I've read through all the "read me first" stuff but I never saw anything mention the whole time coming to a standstill in the last weeks before harvest thing haha. Maybe if I stare at them harder they'll ripen faster lol.

ninjadip

ninjadip

I've read through all the "read me first" stuff but I never saw anything mention the whole time coming to a standstill in the last weeks before harvest thing haha. Maybe if I stare at them harder they'll ripen faster lol.
Yes time will stand still.
Pause for effect

It's the worst! Lol
For me, the best thing to do is just stop counting the weeks at the end and just wait for it. Try not to think I'm in week 8/9 and it makes it a little easier to have patience

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

What is a good method of establishing the bacteria colony in my system ahead of introducing a plant?
Got my magic beans in the mail today. Took only 2 days to get them so that's friggen awesome. My clones are getting voted off the island. I hate to do it but I'm excited to start fresh and get off this bagseed train I've been on for the last 6months.. Got plenty of that stuff coming w this harvest anyway.

Amazon/Satan said I could have a new controller 69 wifi tomorrow if I gave them money within 52min and I thought that sounded fantastic, so I tossed that in the cart with another cloudline fan. Fuckit. Not worth holding up getting my closet finished.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

What is a good method of establishing the bacteria colony in my system ahead of introducing a plant?

Get set up and running a week ahead of your anticipated start date. I am not sure if you want to add nutes, I'm sure Moe will add to this. But I do know you could add your bb and get them going....not sure why you couldn't add nutes too but I would defer to Moe or Aman on that.

Also, get some of these, put a few of them in your res. You can even transfer them between grows to help establish your new colony. I think these are the ones Moe uses-

I'm planning on getting some of these too, just haven't yet.

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Get set up and running a week ahead of your anticipated start date. I am not sure if you want to add nutes, I'm sure Moe will add to this. But I do know you could add your bb and get them going....not sure why you couldn't add nutes too but I would defer to Moe or Aman on that.

Also, get some of these, put a few of them in your res. You can even transfer them between grows to help establish your new colony. I think these are the ones Moe uses-

I'm planning on getting some of these too, just haven't yet.
Behold my bio balls

20230119 105738
Indiva710

Indiva710

I would recommend not running the nutrients thru the chiller and you can use a wort chiller aka a ss coil that will sit inside your epi center and can go to top off res for both and you get a small 5gal res for the chiller and the coils and viola....and your chillers longevity will dramatically increase plus makes the chiller more effecient too it's def a great twofer!!!..

I'd also get rid of the air stones too and either do a

steamroller

steamroller

Being the fish guy with experience on BB you can use sponges just the same.
There are some really great sponges that come in different PPI.

Indiva710

Indiva710

I'd also get a nano bubbler injector too but that will be like 1500+.....but will def be worth it...
I would also suggest you check out the current culture lids and neoprene inserts that they came out with as you can use zero hydroton now and it's def thee way to go one less step to clean and worry about those inserts are def thee way to go for rdwc..but need the 5.5in lids and net pots plus their 3.5in collars and inserts....
And for the meantime I would make sure that the airpump is above the water line of thee system or it can be a big problem if it breaks or power outage it will drain thee entire system thru the air pump and ruin it plus a flood and dead plants..
Another tip would be to not sleep on a wifi water alarm either govee wifi ones work great $20 for the gateway and $10 per sensor it's well worth having them in several places so you will know there is a issue before it becomes a major one!!!!!

Indiva710

Indiva710

Running bennies and organics in rdwc can be a challenge and can cause root problems as bio films build up etc it's not a bad way to go but sterile works wonders for rdwc too as with bennies it's about adding the right ones in the right amounts and not all play well I'n rdwc I'd also keep your temps in 60-65f too more dissolved oxygen and orp....I always ran sterile hocl or 0.2% bleach and it did wonders...I add the bleach when I start to fill as it fills it cleans and dilutes like it should....
But ya my rdwc days are in the past I'd consider hpa aero and a fog setup but def wouldn't do rdwc again not a fan of the plants sharing food and waste more or less as if one plant gets invected esp with hop latent or root disease etc it invects everything you have!!! And that's one of the main reasons I switched to drain to waste w wool or coco...and prefer wool as it's sterile from the start....

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Being the fish guy with experience on BB you can use sponges just the same.
There are some really great sponges that come in different PPI.
No doubt but I have a phobia w sponges. I don't have them anywhere in my house lol. Too much time in clean rooms and kitchens. Plus I like saying bio balls.

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Weed Santa left me some fun stuff. So far managing two spaces/controllers within the app is intuitive enough and the wifi works, so that's good.

Girls are ripened to my satisfaction and getting the chop tomorrow, 75 days since flip. They really didnt give me much trouble and were patient with my missteps. All I can ask for as their humble caretaker.

20230128 091513
20230128 092036
Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Got my SE3000 hung in there today. It is ridiculously bright with the white interior holy shitballs. Like 1,000 suns in there. Everything is functioning as hoped so far. Still no leaks or anything with the water system and overall seems to be performing well, so I think that part is pretty solid.

20230128 133147
SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Those are some monsters you’ve got there!! I love we harvested the same day!! I am just now catching up to this one, very well done!!

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Hey @SweetLeafGrow now that you have a few runs behind you, sometime when you have a minute I'd love to pick your brain on what routine has worked out best for you as a new(er) grower for the day to day, week to week management of your rdwc. Like for example, what have you found has worked best for you as far as mixing/adding nutes and maintaining ppm + pH levels, top offs and water changes?

Top Bottom