Growing in 3rd World Conditions (Cuba) att #2

• Thread starter Zerberus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

one seem to start to be a little unhappy, not sure sure what's going on but nothing too wrong at that point, i wouldn't flush the plant, there's low chance that an excess of nutrients and more chance that's a deficiency starting, so flushing won't help.

don't worry excessively, plants can still make it to harvest with a result good enough even with some issues along the way

rasterman

rasterman

Hi everyone, checked on the plants today and I'm really starting to worry about one of them, the top new growth is really starting to yellow out much more. Does anyone have any ideas? This is the plant.

View attachment 2033194View attachment 2033199View attachment 2033200View attachment 2033201

The weird thing is the other one is doing perfectly fine...

View attachment 2033202

View attachment 2033203

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Should I flush the soil on that sick plant and wait till it dries out then foliar feed it with some nutes?

I'm at a loss, I really want to pull both plants through.

I rotated them and changed their positions to see of that helps, even though I have been doing that weekly.
If that's nitrogen burn it's pretty common. Just wait and let the soil dry out mostly between waterings and it should take care of itself. You can also flush if it gets too bad.

rasterman

rasterman

Your light isn't really powerfull enough to penetrate a too high, dense or wide canopy once in flower.
That might be true, but the plant's going to grow whatever it can and if it has a tall, wide canopy it's going to grab all the possible light. The key to counter excessive stretch is more colas in my experience.

My granddaughter's first grow was with a cheap, crappy light I gave her that I paid $35 for. She grew a single Double Grape auto under it that she and her friends thought was fire. You can probably grow good weed under just about anything if you train to grab all available light.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Are you ready for the smell when it start flower?
I am not 🤦🏻‍♂️, and that's a serious issue I need to address very soon because If I get caught I'm going to die of old age inside a Cuban prison.

I can't flip to flower yet, I'm waiting for a solar panel kit and the electrical timers I bought to get here... There's a lot of power outages here in Cuba so I need to be sure the light cycle doesn't get interrupted in the flower stage.

Zerberus

Zerberus

one seem to start to be a little unhappy, not sure sure what's going on but nothing too wrong at that point, i wouldn't flush the plant, there's low chance that an excess of nutrients and more chance that's a deficiency starting, so flushing won't help.

don't worry excessively, plants can still make it to harvest with a result good enough even with some issues along the way
That might be true, but the plant's going to grow whatever it can and if it has a tall, wide canopy it's going to grab all the possible light. The key to counter excessive stretch is more colas in my experience.

My granddaughter's first grow was with a cheap, crappy light I gave her that I paid $35 for. She grew a single Double Grape auto under it that she and her friends thought was fire. You can probably grow good weed under just about anything if you train to grab all available light.

Yeah due to the uncertainty, I'm going with the less is more approach with that plant, I'm going to give it longer dry periods between waterings, I was watering every 4 days, now I'm going to wait until I see signs of underwatering with that plant, just to rule out the possibility of it being a nitro burn. The other plant I'm going to keep as it is, seems to be doing well so I won't mess with it.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Just checked in on the plants to water them and they are pretty much the same, there have been rolling blackouts these last few days so I think they are as good as can be expected. The biggest plant was a little droopy at the leaf tips but I think that's just from underwatering, I gave them both plain rainwater till run off. Rotated the plants ajusted the tie downs and I brought the light one inch up. As you can see one is thriving more than the other.

IMG 20230907 203250

This is the healthiest plant.

IMG 20230907 203244

And this is the one that's been causing some issues and is basically stuck, won't grow as much anymore. I don't know whether it's a Nute lockout or stunt growth for other reasons.

IMG 20230907 203239
IMG 20230907 201929
IMG 20230907 201932

I haven't been able to flip them into flower because the timers aren't here yet, or the solar power kit I bought either, and I need both of those things to be able to keep the lights and ventilation on while there's black outs, I don't want them to hermie.

rasterman

rasterman

I get frustrated when a plant just stops growing for no reason. It's a good time to choose the colas to keep and remove the others. If you clean up the lowers you'll spur some growth. Up-potting would help too, but since you're already in five gallon pots that might not be an option.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Checked on the plants today, they are pretty much the same. I did wrap the area the plants are in with aluminum foil, I know it's ghetto but something is better than nothing.

Light is at 17 inches, 100%.

Next watering is on Monday.

IMG 20230909 020606
IMG 20230909 020611
IMG 20230909 020616
IMG 20230909 020624

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

aluminium foil can create hot spot reflecting the light due to folds and locally burn the plants, better to keep your almost white walls

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

as i said you walls are close enough to white and already reflect the light well enough, you won't gain anything signifiant adding aluminium foil just taking the risk to create some hot spot due to the way it can reflect light with folds.

anything plain white or painted white would be much better than aluminium for exemple if your really want to cover thoose walls.

ttystikk

ttystikk

It's a 3x4 area and the light is not strong enough for both plants, light is meant for a 2x2, I will give it a try if I see any signs of plant stress or burns I'll pull it down, thanks for the heads up.
You might consider using white plastic to make a smaller light enclosure around the light and above the plants. It would make about a 15% difference, give or take.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Hi guys, decided to go ahead and water the plants today since I won't be able to check in on them tomorrow, I took a close look at the plants and the one that that's yellowing a bit, is pretty much the same, just going to keep her on water for some time to see if she can recover.

The larger healthier plant was starting to stretch and grow a little bit out of control so I decided to top her in the places where she was outgrowing the rest, just to give the other plant and the rest of plant some time to even out.

I am having issues with the rolling black outs, today there was a 4 hour black out, but I'm keeping the lights on 24/7 so the black out acts like a sleeping period, bad thing the fans stop working also so air circulation is minimal.

These are the plants today.

IMG 20230909 020616
IMG 20230909 020611

Hopefully the smaller, yellowish plant pulls through and I can get her to harvest without anymore issues🤞🏻

ttystikk

ttystikk

Well it's a win-win situation, the solar panels will help me power my house during the blackouts and hurricanes, and I will be able to power my grow set up also.

So it's a sound investment, electricity all year round and I need the weed as medicine so it's a one of those "kill two birds with one stone situation"
Your logic is very solid. You get a lot of hurricanes?

rasterman

rasterman

Hi guys, decided to go ahead and water the plants today since I won't be able to check in on them tomorrow, I took a close look at the plants and the one that that's yellowing a bit, is pretty much the same, just going to keep her on water for some time to see if she can recover.

The larger healthier plant was starting to stretch and grow a little bit out of control so I decided to top her in the places where she was outgrowing the rest, just to give the other plant and the rest of plant some time to even out.

I am having issues with the rolling black outs, today there was a 4 hour black out, but I'm keeping the lights on 24/7 so the black out acts like a sleeping period, bad thing the fans stop working also so air circulation is minimal.

These are the plants today.

View attachment 2038385View attachment 2038387

Hopefully the smaller, yellowish plant pulls through and I can get her to harvest without anymore issues🤞🏻
Hopefully you solved it - newer leaves look okay to me. Most people will tell you that problem should be solved before flip, though I've been known not to follow that advice 💯%.

Top Bottom