Iso/everclear Slab... No Butane.

• Thread starter GT21
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oregon Grown

Oregon Grown

Thanks, I'm about to try this for the first time and didn't want to mess it up by being impatient. I have the house to myself so today would work better then tomorrow.

miko

miko

It took 2 1/2 bottles of 151 everclear to process 350 grams of product. So I am unsure what that means for how much I am left with. I do have some science ish thoughts..

I wonder if you have processing say 1 cup of product. You could sure process with 1 or 2 cups of everclear, but would you pull more wax if you stripped with say, 4-6 cups of ever clear.
Basically is there a saturation point we are up against so if we process more product than a right amount, are we basically throwing good wax away by using less alcohol to do it.

I bet there is a sweet spot.

Think about this, you can only mix so much sugar or corn-startch with water. I bet there is a sweet spot with this wax method, where you should use MORE alcohol to less product.

miko

miko

Well, I am gonna try some experimenting to prove or disprove my theory on this.

My theory is simple. Using more alcohol, will result in more yield of wax in the final batch. The saturation point exists for TRICS to everclear, but I don't have any idea what this is.

I am running 2 batches and will share/ compare results to see if using more alcohol really matters. Should have results yet this week. Batch 1 is already drying.

Batch 1, 330 grams product. 10-12 second shake, lower amount of everclear per shake.

Batch 2, 330 grams product. 16-20 second shake, much larger amount of everclear per shake.

Oregon Grown

Oregon Grown

I finished my first run with iso and it turned out good other then the taste. None of the taste of the plant came through, it tastes like hash. Is this normal or did I evaporate the alcohol off at too high of temperature? My other thought is maybe I went too long with the heat. I was checking it about every 10 min. at the end and the second to last time I checked on it the whole room smelled really good and the last check there was no smell.

miko

miko

I finished my first run with iso and it turned out good other then the taste. None of the taste of the plant came through, it tastes like hash. Is this normal or did I evaporate the alcohol off at too high of temperature? My other thought is maybe I went too long with the heat. I was checking it about every 10 min. at the end and the second to last time I checked on it the whole room smelled really good and the last check there was no smell.

try it with everclear next time. I bet that impacts the taste..

BlackSheepOG

BlackSheepOG

Well, I am gonna try some experimenting to prove or disprove my theory on this.

My theory is simple. Using more alcohol, will result in more yield of wax in the final batch. The saturation point exists for TRICS to everclear, but I don't have any idea what this is.

I am running 2 batches and will share/ compare results to see if using more alcohol really matters. Should have results yet this week. Batch 1 is already drying.

Batch 1, 330 grams product. 10-12 second shake, lower amount of everclear per shake.

Batch 2, 330 grams product. 16-20 second shake, much larger amount of everclear per shake.

I ALWAYS go at least 2 inches of ever clear above my trim in the jar. First few times I did it I only just put enough to cover it and felt like I wasn't getting it all, so I like you figured that I should use more EC and what do you know my yields increased. No matter what you're going to lose some due to saturation but the extra alcohol I've been adding has made up for that.

miko

miko

I ALWAYS go at least 2 inches of ever clear above my trim in the jar. First few times I did it I only just put enough to cover it and felt like I wasn't getting it all, so I like you figured that I should use more EC and what do you know my yields increased. No matter what you're going to lose some due to saturation but the extra alcohol I've been adding has made up for that.

awesome, I bet this will help, but will be interesting to see the side by side with 2 large batches of trim.

BlackSheepOG

BlackSheepOG

Been in the garden all morning, now it's time for a break....

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Ya theres a chance you over cooked it. Once its not runny and you have that nice sap smell then take it off the heat source

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I should have been more clear with the liquid. You want to soak all the material well.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Gt, not sure what's been going on with my extraction, but it's not even close to the 1st time I did this. 1st go was super good, as good as my shatter made fromm bho. All 3 attempts were done the same way, same strains, same ethanol brand (153 proof diesel). 1st go was snap n pull and vape great in my rig. Last 2 times well didn't work out so well. Can't get it to stiffen up so much, super sticky on the hands, leaves residue in my ti nail.on rig.

1st go I used no heat as it was summer, last 2 I used an electric griddle on low (170*) with my usual fan, with hot pads between the griddle and pyrex dishes to keep heat even and lower than the griddle dial.

The end product I just use for edibles, cannabutter and cannaoil. Which is still potent and excellent.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Did you leave the trim in the rinse too long? Did you get all of the booze out in your cook? They say its strain dependent but i have never had a problem getting a good product. It sounds to me like you didnt get all the booze cooked off

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Honestly, this is all from my trimmer machine every time when I do my clean out about 5 days after I'm done harvesting. All my sugar trim goes to my wax maker.

I also threw the patty in my vac chamber with digital heat pad set to 120*, temp at patty was 85*, taken with ir temp gun.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Not quite sure why I can't edit my above post.

I have a harvest coming up.on the 28th, I'll shoot you a pm and see if I can make a better product to vape. I don't mind using my trimmer extraction for edibles, as it saves me from using my good bho.

LI grows

LI grows

Trying this today as an experiment... My first attempt.
I have some Ice hash that is just too much a pain to smoke, by the time i get it it lit in a bowl im just too high to finish smoking. lol
anyway... quick method is not working because the hash is rock hard. trying to dissolve the hash in iso then pour through coffee filters then cook it off slow. also rinsing my jars in iso as i go. :)

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Trying this today as an experiment... My first attempt.
I have some Ice hash that is just too much a pain to smoke, by the time i get it it lit in a bowl im just too high to finish smoking. lol
anyway... quick method is not working because the hash is rock hard. trying to dissolve the hash in iso then pour through coffee filters then cook it off slow. also rinsing my jars in iso as i go. :)
Break the hash up first.. you can grind it through a pasta strainer to make it powder again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom