Massive Outdoor 2015 Northern Cali Grow,,,,

• Thread starter MendoGiantZ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Steelhead fishing on the south fork of the eel river. View attachment 579025
We got skunked... Steelhead are a true trophy fish and very difficult to catch especially with the amount of water that was in the eel river..(it was still an amazing trip) ... Every thing is going really good on the farms.. We have the first hoop house completely packed with plants.(were gonna take half the plants and spread them into the other greenhouse once its finished and the plants are thriving.) The plants are in 15, 20 or 30 gallon containers depending on their size and we just received our first 12 mil breathable blackout tarp from the growstore.. We have the plants on 18 hours of light and are gonna continue with this cycle for another 2 or 3 weeks depending on their rate of growth... Im hoping everything gets some nice roots going during these storms and then really starts to explode in growth next week when we get some more nice sunny days. Going snowboarding this weekend at kirkwood and when I get back and the weather changes were going to build the second hoop house and start knocking out some of the bigger projects for the full term plants... Gonna really have to be on top of the powder mold because of the lack of air ventilation we have right now..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If you're going to Kirkwood, you HAVE to give me a call.

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

We were gonna go to kirkwood but we changed our minds now were gonna go stay in reno with a friend instead and go to north star in the morning.. My fiancƩ is working until 5 or so and we probably will just try to get up there at a reasonable hour and not make to many stops...

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
@MendoGiantZ @Blaze @Seamaiden @leadsled Can one of you guys suggest how to move a lot of dirt around without a forklift? I've got a few sacks coming to the garden, and I don't even know how I'll get them off the truck. Once they are off the truck we'll just use a wheelbarrow, but my garden is on other side of a steep ditch.

outwest

Blaze

Blaze

What Terps said - rent something. Those little bob cats are pretty cool, they can get in a lot of tight narrow spots that most tractors can't. Maybe it can even get across your steep ditch. We've got equipment of our own, so we always just dump the soil and amendments as close to the garden as we can with a dump truck, then use either wheelbarrows or the small Case tractor to get it in the rest of the way. Being able to get equipment into your site, even a small tractor or bob cat, is a huge time and labor saver. Sometimes it can be worth the extra work in the long run to make a better access route to your garden so you can do exactly that.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Many thanks, @Blaze & @The Terps. I'll see what I can find.

outwest

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yeah, now that we've got our own tractor and quad, that's what I've been using. Looking forward to seeing you guys get your grows on!

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

some new pics of the babies. We're struggling pulling the 100 foot tarp over the entire hoop house with one person. Anyone have any tricks they would like to share. @Blaze

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Nice cherry pie plant. My friend gave me three of these monsters. He had 12 of them and he just took all his cutting for his outdoor for the year and didn't need these monsters anymore. (. Barely fit in the Tacoma )

Blaze

Blaze

some new pics of the babies. We're struggling pulling the 100 foot tarp over the entire hoop house with one person. Anyone have any tricks they would like to share. @Blaze

Google "golden arm tarp puller." But don't buy one (unless you've got money to burn). You can build something similar with parts from the hardware store for at most a few hundred bucks vs. $1500. It's basically just a metal arm on a pivot.

Or bunch up some of the tarp around a tennis ball and tie some rope around that, then toss the rope over the hoop house. I would guess you would need at least 4 for something that size. I forget exactly what that type of knot is called, it's an old camping trick for securing tarps.

Even a stick or a 10' length of PVC to hook under the tarp to give yourself some leverage can do the trick.

Oh and I would be leery planting old mother plants. They tend to grow pretty slow and in general be not so great. Just because they are big now doesn't mean they will do well. Young and vigorous is what you want, not old and big...

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Google "golden arm tarp puller." But don't buy one (unless you've got money to burn). You can build something similar with parts from the hardware store for at most a few hundred bucks vs. $1500. It's basically just a metal arm on a pivot.

Or bunch up some of the tarp around a tennis ball and tie some rope around that, then toss the rope over the hoop house. I would guess you would need at least 4 for something that size. I forget exactly what that type of knot is called, it's an old camping trick for securing tarps.

Even a stick or a 10' length of PVC to hook under the tarp to give yourself some leverage can do the trick.

Oh and I would be leery planting old mother plants. They tend to grow pretty slow and in general be not so great. Just because they are big now doesn't mean they will do well. Young and vigorous is what you want, not old and big...
nice. I'm gonna experiment a little bit and see what works best. These plants aren't really "mother plants" there just super healthy big plants that he topped one time. I do have like six mom plants my friend gave me and I'm not very pumped on them. Your totally right about moms- it seems once the stalk get all woody and hard it has a hard time snapping out of it and growing vigorously again. Thx for all the options on tarp pulling

GrowingGreen

GrowingGreen

So with your 200 gallon pots how tall did you your trees get?

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

So with your 200 gallon pots how tall did you your trees get?
Depends on a couple different things as far as size goes. The closer together the plants are the more likely they are to shade each other and stretch really tall to try and reach the sunshine. The plants that had plenty of room around them and were in full sun reached about 8 or 9 feet tall and were about 11 feet wide or so. ( the width is really what encourages large Yields. ).

GrowingGreen

GrowingGreen

Depends on a couple different things as far as size goes. The closer together the plants are the more likely they are to shade each other and stretch really tall to try and reach the sunshine. The plants that had plenty of room around them and were in full sun reached about 8 or 9 feet tall and were about 11 feet wide or so. ( the width is really what encourages large Yields. ).
Coo brother thank you!

Latest posts

Top Bottom