Weight for Perfect Drying time?

• Thread starter Madbud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

Stabilize it at 72 degrees f and 62 % humidity first and then you tell me
Is 72f the standard for guessing bud moisture with a humidistat? How full is the jar supposed to be. I'm old and slow so help me out. It seems to me a full jar has less air and more water so the rh of the air inside the jar would go up. Idk I just go by feel and burn.

Madbud

Madbud

Is 72f the standard for guessing bud moisture with a humidistat? How full is the jar supposed to be. I'm old and slow so help me out. It seems to me a full jar has less air and more water so the rh of the air inside the jar would go up. Idk I just go by feel and burn.
My ambient is 19C, 66°F. The rise in humidity would be the moisture released from the buds so yeah my 10 grams in a qrt jar is pretty low volume. These are pretty weak buds but the needle is gradually moving towards 60%, maybe by tomorrow.

growsince79

growsince79

My ambient is 19C, 66°F. The rise in humidity would be the moisture released from the buds so yeah my 10 grams in a qrt jar is pretty low volume. These are pretty weak buds but the needle is gradually moving towards 60%, maybe by tomorrow.
Hows the burn? Does it crumble to dust or slightly wet?

Madbud

Madbud

Hows the burn? Does it crumble to dust or slightly wet?
Haven’t tried it but its in between dust and wet. The poor thing only had 3 “colas”, this is her today

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
If your still interested in gathering data I'll be harvesting a room soon. Willing to help if my system will give you the information your seeking

Madbud

Madbud

A little disappointed, the humidity stayed below 60 overnight. Slight move of the needle, maybe 58% from 53 or 54.

growsince79

growsince79

A little disappointed, the humidity stayed below 60 overnight. Slight move of the needle, maybe 58% from 53 or 54.View attachment 1182236
I put a humidistat in a 1/4 full jar last night bud cured 4 months and still what I consider correct moisture. 72F 55%rh. No way is it too dry though. Any wetter would not be good. Now I,m putting it in a 3/4full jar of bud that I consider a bit on the dry side. I'll check tonight.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Shouldn't matter how full or empty the jar is.
The idea is "stabilized" at 72 deg and 62%

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Yes, all you need is a little scale. Weigh a bud or stem every day for a week. Thanks.
Got that, weight at harvest and weight daily for a week. I'll do that for you. Next batch is at 9.5 weeks and flushing

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

If I had a jar of bud that was too dry, i'd put a piece of orange peel in there for an hour or 2, pops rh right up.

growsince79

growsince79

I put a humidistat in a 1/4 full jar last night bud cured 4 months and still what I consider correct moisture. 72F 55%rh. No way is it too dry though. Any wetter would not be good. Now I,m putting it in a 3/4full jar of bud that I consider a bit on the dry side. I'll check tonight.
Checked the slightly dry 3/4 full jar was 58rh @75f. These buds have noticably less moisture than the 55% jar.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
admittedly, i havent read the entire thread...

i use a moisture meter. too many variables in any other way. (not a meter for humidity, a meter used mostly for wood moisture content)

i use Grove bags, so no loss from when i put them in the bag till i use it.

dry to 40% moisture content. brown bag till 15-18%. clean up and weigh out and bag in grove bags.

the numbers change as to the meter you use, but the consistency makes it so you can use it with a high degree of success, and no additional loss in weight even a year later when you open it.

good luck on finding your answers though!

the Grove Terp-Loc Bags make the biggest difference in things, but the moisture meter is my best solution to exacting the numbers so it works every time with every strain.

i insert the probe in a large bud, set it to send an alert to my phone when it hits the right numbers. i go open the door (so the first light it sees) and move it to the paper bag. next alert, i clean it up and weigh it out and bag it in Grove bags and store it (oh... and write on it all the deets)

it works even when the humidity is different, or the temp alters with the day. i dont have to open things and "check" for crisp or anything else. i dont guess at bend or snap of a branch. i know what size bud to pick, i guess that is a variable, but i found the answer to that one!

all the issues most have are solved with a grove bag and a moisture meter. the bags are cheap! i got enough for my needs for about $25 with discounts (lots of sizes and can get 1 or 2 of a size or 25 or any number!)

mine is for my use, but i like storing it in 1/2 oz bags ($.58 cents each). i open and use it before i get bored of it and i can go to the next one!

when this growing adventure started, i dried to smoke, curing was just something other people did! with the grove bags i "accidentally" cured it! i had lots less loss, and as i grew more the stuff lasted in storage longer and then one day i pulled out one i thought "meh" about and tried it... OMG my eyes were opened! much better smells, the taste was noticeable! (not that i liked some - the skittlez is a fruity foot that was removed from a cows ass...)

one in particular, the GG#4, i was liking the high, but no taste except smoke and rough smoke at that. made me cough lots. so i stuck it away and avoided it, so many were coming in and i was trying them a week from cutting!

one day, i pulled some out (mostly to show off a fun Grove bag i got with GG#4 on it) and we smoked and OMG!!! well, any who have tried a well cured GG#4 know about the taste! lol. i am not sure i like it, but it is distinct and sort of sweet. but the effect was stunningly better than before the cure.

anyway, try a Grove bag and just try out a moisture meter and absolutely do the sweating stage! it changes things a LOT!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom