Bho Extractor With Taps N Shit?

• Thread starter Mr Bee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Two.Bears

Two.Bears

No for sure I'm well aware iv got a good bit to learn and usually I would just crack on and do it but with the inherent danger in bho extraction is kinda stopping me from just trying to learn a bit before I even buy anything since if I buy a peice o shite I don't have the money to then buy another better model.
I appreciate the help lads.big time.
If you winterize the butane and cannabinoids in a freezer a few hours; just put the liquid in a Styrofoam cooler with Dry ice the bit of clorophyll and lipids will stick to the bottom and wall of the container giving yoy a better flavor and smoother vape.

I always winterize the QWISO I extract.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

a vacuum pump? yes you need that to evacuate the air in the material tube for a safe extraction.. there also used to evacuate the air in a vacuum chamber which is what you should use to properly purge your oil
The vacuum pump also lowers the boiling point.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

That just goes to prove iv got a lot to learn as I had no clue you needed that vacuum thing(still not sure what it's for.i assume to make sure the thing is totally empty of air/gas before use?) or that you put it in an ice bath.
Its not Absolutely necessary but you will get a much better product by purging the butane completely.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

The vacuum pump also lowers the boiling point.
Boiling point?could you explain that part please two bears?
Again sorry for all the silly questions.i would usually just do something and try to learn it as I go along but that's not really a good idea with this I would imagine.i want to make sure I have an idea what I'm doing before I get the equipment for it.
Thanks guys.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Boiling point?could you explain that part please two bears?
Again sorry for all the silly questions.i would usually just do something and try to learn it as I go along but that's not really a good idea with this I would imagine.i want to make sure I have an idea what I'm doing before I get the equipment for it.
Thanks guys.
Lets use water as an example.

At Sea level water boils at 212.

I live at 3,600 feet elevation here tge boiling point is 207. At the top if Mount Everest the boiling point is somewhere between 189-192 if memory serves.

A vacuum Chamber reduces the air pressure on tge BHO. So it will boil like crazy at temps too low to affect the terpenes.

I AM THE MAD SCIENTIST.

I have a little dog (Kami a little Miniature Pincher (Min PIN))

She is 4 years old and she started having problems going #2 abd she acted as if it was very painful.

So i made some Green dragon tincture that i put on edibles.

I thought i would put 1 drop on a bite of her food and allow to sit out so the alcohol (Everclear) could evaporate.

There is only 2.5-3 mg cannabinoids in one drop the way I make the Green dragon.

I started giving her 1 piece of dog food with 1 drop Green Dragon every other day.

Two days later she is back to normal.

In a few days i will try 1 drop of hemp seed oil to see if that helps her.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Lets use water as an example.

At Sea level water boils at 212.

I live at 3,600 feet elevation here tge boiling point is 207. At the top if Mount Everest the boiling point is somewhere between 189-192 if memory serves.

A vacuum Chamber reduces the air pressure on tge BHO. So it will boil like crazy at temps too low to affect the terpenes.

I AM THE MAD SCIENTIST.

I have a little dog (Kami a little Miniature Pincher (Min PIN))

She is 4 years old and she started having problems going #2 abd she acted as if it was very painful.

So i made some Green dragon tincture that i put on edibles.

I thought i would put 1 drop on a bite of her food and allow to sit out so the alcohol (Everclear) could evaporate.

There is only 2.5-3 mg cannabinoids in one drop the way I make the Green dragon.

I started giving her 1 piece of dog food with 1 drop Green Dragon every other day.

Two days later she is back to normal.

In a few days i will try 1 drop of hemp seed oil to see if that helps her.
Green dragon?is that from that crazy bugger master Thai?

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Iv been looking into heat only purging.i dont have access to any fancey gadgets.iv tried to google it but I'm only really getting utube vids on the subject but I'm only on my phone and don't have enough data to run em.
Would love to hear Any and all tips ,methods or tricks of the trade from you guys since you guys seem to know wat your talking about and grey wolf inparticular is the extracts master.im hoping honest flattery will get me somewhere.lol.cheers.

D

dabarino

Iv been looking into heat only purging.i dont have access to any fancey gadgets.iv tried to google it but I'm only really getting utube vids on the subject but I'm only on my phone and don't have enough data to run em.
Would love to hear Any and all tips ,methods or tricks of the trade from you guys since you guys seem to know wat your talking about and grey wolf inparticular is the extracts master.im hoping honest flattery will get me somewhere.lol.cheers.

heat purging butane over a burner or any other source of ignition is extremely dangerous and not recommended what so ever! My personal opinion is if you don't want to invest in the proper and safe equipment then stay away from bho extraction before you hurt your self of someone else.... there is no being lazy or cutting corners in this game it can litteraly be do or die!

What happens when all that butane you just purged off pools right below the pan and on the burner. Once it gets in between 1.8% and 8.5% then boom!

Some people may try and tell you otherwise but it's really not a risk anyone should be taking

Graywolf

Graywolf

No master, just another student picking the keen alleged fine minds of gurus where I find them, though I have been around long enough to remember how we did it in the hoary days of yore and survived.

I infer that we are talking about purging open blasted BHO, given the thread this is on and lack of fancy gadgets, and that all visible butane is gone as our starting point.

Given that it is open blasted, any mystery oil will still be there, so choice of butane is more critical than if you are pre-distilling your butane in a CLS.

Butane is listed as GRAS (generally regarded as safe) by the FDA and considered a Class III solvent, meaning residuals must be below 5000 ppm. That is actually relatively high and affects taste and nose effect at those levels, more than concerns about toxicity.

That brings us to the question of what you want to do with the concentrate, because if you simply decarboxylate the raw oleoresin collected at 250F for about 30 minutes, the residual solvent will be well below FDA guidelines, typically ND (none detected at test cut off point). That is suitable for medibles.

If you redissolve it in ethanol and winterize the mixture, by the time you remove the alcohol, the butane will also be gone.

You can reduce the amount of butane by chasing the puddle around on a piece of parchment in a thin film with a heat gun.

You can leave it in a thin film on a heat mat around 135F overnight, and reduce residuals.

The longer it sits molten in a thin film, the lower the residual butane, but also the lower the residual mono terpenes, aroma, and flavor. The primary advantage of purging under vacuum, is the ability to use less heat and a shorter purge period, so as to achieve better purges and retain more of the aroma and flavor.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

No master, just another student picking the keen alleged fine minds of gurus where I find them, though I have been around long enough to remember how we did it in the hoary days of yore and survived.

I infer that we are talking about purging open blasted BHO, given the thread this is on and lack of fancy gadgets, and that all visible butane is gone as our starting point.

Given that it is open blasted, any mystery oil will still be there, so choice of butane is more critical than if you are pre-distilling your butane in a CLS.

Butane is listed as GRAS (generally regarded as safe) by the FDA and considered a Class III solvent, meaning residuals must be below 5000 ppm. That is actually relatively high and affects taste and nose effect at those levels, more than concerns about toxicity.

That brings us to the question of what you want to do with the concentrate, because if you simply decarboxylate the raw oleoresin collected at 250F for about 30 minutes, the residual solvent will be well below FDA guidelines, typically ND (none detected at test cut off point). That is suitable for medibles.

If you redissolve it in ethanol and winterize the mixture, by the time you remove the alcohol, the butane will also be gone.

You can reduce the amount of butane by chasing the puddle around on a piece of parchment in a thin film with a heat gun.

You can leave it in a thin film on a heat mat around 135F overnight, and reduce residuals.

The longer it sits molten in a thin film, the lower the residual butane, but also the lower the residual mono terpenes, aroma, and flavor. The primary advantage of purging under vacuum, is the ability to use less heat and a shorter purge period, so as to achieve better purges and retain more of the aroma and flavor.
Not a master eh?only a real masters deny being a master.not saying everyone who Denys being a master is one of course but I'm sure you get what I'm Trying to say.
Thanks for that info @grey wolf.seems simple enough.
I'm planning on getting as much of the equipment I need but it will take me a wee bit to accumulate it.will prob b one peice of equipment at a time but I,ll get there eventually

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

heat purging butane over a burner or any other source of ignition is extremely dangerous and not recommended what so ever! My personal opinion is if you don't want to invest in the proper and safe equipment then stay away from bho extraction before you hurt your self of someone else.... there is no being lazy or cutting corners in this game it can litteraly be do or die!

What happens when all that butane you just purged off pools right below the pan and on the burner. Once it gets in between 1.8% and 8.5% then boom!

Some people may try and tell you otherwise but it's really not a risk anyone should be taking
so once all visible signs of butane have disappeared it's still highly combustible?ok got it.im only working with really small bits.

D

dabarino

so once all visible signs of butane have disappeared it's still highly combustible?ok got it.im only working with really small bits.
Yes as long as your within the lel it is highly combustible... Really small bits eh....... I've said what I have to say.. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor. Be safe

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Yes as long as your within the lel it is highly combustible... Really small bits eh....... I've said what I have to say.. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor. Be safe
I will do my best to stay intact.thanks for the time,info and dire warnings.

whitebob

whitebob

I will do my best to stay intact.thanks for the time,info and dire warnings.
hey bud just wanted to say that if you look at the queen bee they are made with a non reactive plastic to butane.... also the key being ventilation for safety...and common sense of course.. and most people don't start in a lab, so don't be afraid to do it just do it with your head on.. i like yourself only need to process a small amount of material.... just done my first iso wash tonight and have to say it was a very unpleasant experience, stuff stinks :D... and time scale is way longer think I'm just going to carry on perfecting my bho for now...

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

hey bud just wanted to say that if you look at the queen bee they are made with a non reactive plastic to butane.... also the key being ventilation for safety...and common sense of course.. and most people don't start in a lab, so don't be afraid to do it just do it with your head on.. i like yourself only need to process a small amount of material.... just done my first iso wash tonight and have to say it was a very unpleasant experience, stuff stinks :D... and time scale is way longer think I'm just going to carry on perfecting my bho for now...
Thanks bobby boy I appreciate the advice.its the purging the raw unpurged bho properly that's eluding me but I'm pretty persistent wen I want something.i know I'm not going to get the best of the best with these methods but I don't really require it.just something decent and safe to inhale.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Yes but I think it makes for a superior product.greywolf here posting above is literally THE guy on the forums for extracts and he uses ISO so if he does it's surely gotta be worth it.
I will probably give ISO a go aswell.i would actually probably be better served doing ISO as it seems it would cost less to do it.

whitebob

whitebob

Yes but I think it makes for a superior product.greywolf here posting above is literally THE guy on the forums for extracts and he uses ISO so if he does it's surely gotta be worth it.
I will probably give ISO a go aswell.i would actually probably be better served doing ISO as it seems it would cost less to do it.
yes correcto graywolf is the man i believe previously of skunkpharm research he would know all there is to know... we are lucky to have him on the farm.. i'm sure i will be asking him some questions myself sometime soon;)

Graywolf

Graywolf

May I put QWISO into perspective from my view, starting with the observation that the fish trap exists only because of the fish, and the fish is more important than the design of the trap?

My preferred form of extraction for most purposes is using a non polar solvent like Butane in a closed loop system, or QWET using 190 proof Ethanol and recovering the alcohol for reuse.

Those choices are based on on a number of factors in part related to their intended use and cost per gram to produce a quality product. Also because Butane is rated as GRAS by the FDA, allowing its use as a food propellant, and Ethanol is of course food grade, so you can leave more of it than ISO, even if FDA standards are the same.

Add to that the element of choice, which is because I can.

Not everyone is in a position to use BHO or obtain 190 proof Ethanol, which begs the question of what does a patient use if they can only get something like 99% Iso?

My answer is that Iso is also listed as a Class III solvent by the FDA, meaning they limit it to 5000 ppm in pharmaceuticals and food. It is also a pungent alcohol, detectable by most folks senses below 500 ppm.

Sooo, if I can keep it below 500 ppm and produce a medication that gets the job done, with the alternative to not get the job done, not much of a leap for me. I have made, used, and taught Iso, and it actually got high marks with the volunteer student testing panels after classes making it.

I also do a number of other types of extraction, depending on availability of supplies and end product desired. For some purposes VG, or cooking oils are just the ticket. IE: Just 15% saturation in vegetable oil makes a killer pain relieving topical. I currently use a 15% solution, in a commercial off the shelf joint and muscle relief oil, which works even better.

For small dabbing quantities, consider pressing Rosin...... Etc

Top Bottom