Grove Bags Yes? No? Why?

• Thread starter CannaGranny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dothraki

Dothraki

They breath two ways to maintain the 58 - 62% rh inside the bag.
I’ll burp a couple bags (just in case bud moisture is too high) and leave a couple sealed. I know they are supposed to regulate RH but they also say to not bag them above 12% moisture. I’m assuming thats to prevent unwanted microorganisms from growing since the bag wouldn’t expel moisture fast enough… which could be what some of us would describe as smelling like “lawn clippings” or “hay”. Or do you think that is mostly just byproducts of enzymes consuming or breaking down chlorophyll?

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Curious why burping jars is such a laborious task?!?🤷‍♂️😄

I can see if you're having to burp 100 jars then, yeah, it's gonna take you a while but most on here aren't harvesting more than a few pounds per run. The gallon pickle jars I cure in will hold roughly 1/4 lb. Even if you yield 3 lbs of dry weight you're only looking at 12 jars that you can use indefinitely.

I've looked into the bags which is why I also read the thread. Definitely interesting product. Sounds like the QP bags are the best at getting it into the RH zone you want or does it perform equally well across all of their bags?

I guess I'm old school. I like checking on the flower as it cures to see how it changes in look and smell. I'm about 2 - 3 weeks into jar cure and the flower has really transformed into dense, spongey oil bombs. I told myself I wouldn't taste it and wait at least a month for cure to try them out but my GF got in it and has been smoking it up so I, naturally, joined in. I haven't smoked any of it for about a week now and am going to wait another week to see where the flower is at in cure.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I’ll burp a couple bags (just in case bud moisture is too high) and leave a couple sealed. I know they are supposed to regulate RH but they also say to not bag them above 12% moisture. I’m assuming thats to prevent unwanted microorganisms from growing since the bag wouldn’t expel moisture fast enough… which could be what some of us would describe as smelling like “lawn clippings” or “hay”. Or do you think that is mostly just byproducts of enzymes consuming or breaking down chlorophyll?
If you are at 10 - 12% when you closed the bag any “lawn clipping or hay smell” I would attribute to it breaking the crap down and curing the bud as it should. I never open mine after I seal it for at least a month. Never had any smell other than the cured bud smell I expect when I open it.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Curious why burping jars is such a laborious task?!?🤷‍♂️😄

I can see if you're having to burp 100 jars then, yeah, it's gonna take you a while but most on here aren't harvesting more than a few pounds per run. The gallon pickle jars I cure in will hold roughly 1/4 lb. Even if you yield 3 lbs of dry weight you're only looking at 12 jars that you can use indefinitely.

I've looked into the bags which is why I also read the thread. Definitely interesting product. Sounds like the QP bags are the best at getting it into the RH zone you want or does it perform equally well across all of their bags?

I guess I'm old school. I like checking on the flower as it cures to see how it changes in look and smell. I'm about 2 - 3 weeks into jar cure and the flower has really transformed into dense, spongey oil bombs. I told myself I wouldn't taste it and wait at least a month for cure to try them out but my GF got in it and has been smoking it up so I, naturally, joined in. I haven't smoked any of it for about a week now and am going to wait another week to see where the flower is at in cure.
For me it’s all about that one time you forget to close your jars back up…or if you have to be away from the house for a few days, but mostly those idiot moments when you realize you left the lids off all day because for some reason you got distracted and forgot.

I feel ya on the whole hands on, touching and smelling the buds as they cure thing…but that day you forget to close lids…that seals the deal for me since I live in +- 30% RH during the winter. I am hoping Grove Bags can be stored in that low of RH too so we shall see. The only thing that would take some trial and error is finding the perfect dryness to bag them up. I don’t like the idea of relying on a wood meter because when the zombie apocalypse hits and I’m bugged out in my homemade shack in the woods, with my Grove Bags, I want to know when my buds are good to seal up. I guess I could just use the meter once…then I would know. I dunno…this new harvest I’m smoking is pretty potent and I kinda forgot I was writing in a forum and just started thinking out loud. But yeah, don’t forget to close those lids. Grove Bags are cheap, give it a try with an ounce or 2.

Dothraki

Dothraki

If you are at 10 - 12% when you closed the bag any “lawn clipping or hay smell” I would attribute to it breaking the crap down and curing the bud as it should. I never open mine after I seal it for at least a month. Never had any smell other than the cured bud smell I expect when I open it.
Yeah, the moisture meter. I’d rather not have to buy another damn electronic gadget to rely on. Wouldn’t every size stem give you a different reading? How accurate can those things be against a tiny cannabis stem?

Probably good to leave them sealed…but you’ve never opened one to check the buds or steal some smoke in the first week? Or just out of curiosity?

Blastfact

Blastfact

Yeah, the moisture meter. I’d rather not have to buy another damn electronic gadget to rely on. Wouldn’t every size stem give you a different reading? How accurate can those things be against a tiny cannabis stem?

Probably good to leave them sealed…but you’ve never opened one to check the buds or steal some smoke in the first week? Or just out of curiosity?
You don't messure the moisture in the stem. You take your readings in the buds. And they work great! I'll never go back to the old school jars after going to the bags. I have Govee meters I thow in the bags with the meters to monitor the temp/RH with my phone or computers. They keep the RH between 58% to 62%. Never get warmer or cooler than room temp there in. Don't have to burp or screw around with them. Let the weed cure for a month or so and it's fine!

freezeland2

freezeland2

For me it’s all about that one time you forget to close your jars back up…or if you have to be away from the house for a few days, but mostly those idiot moments when you realize you left the lids off all day because for some reason you got distracted and forgot.

I feel ya on the whole hands on, touching and smelling the buds as they cure thing…but that day you forget to close lids…that seals the deal for me since I live in +- 30% RH during the winter. I am hoping Grove Bags can be stored in that low of RH too so we shall see. The only thing that would take some trial and error is finding the perfect dryness to bag them up. I don’t like the idea of relying on a wood meter because when the zombie apocalypse hits and I’m bugged out in my homemade shack in the woods, with my Grove Bags, I want to know when my buds are good to seal up. I guess I could just use the meter once…then I would know. I dunno…this new harvest I’m smoking is pretty potent and I kinda forgot I was writing in a forum and just started thinking out loud. But yeah, don’t forget to close those lids. Grove Bags are cheap, give it a try with an ounce or 2.
20% rh in my house right now and I’m not a bit worried about any of my cured bud that is in grove bags. They work, and if they didn’t a lot of people would be posting about it.

freezeland2

freezeland2

No I don’t open them out of curiosity or to grab a bud or two. I leave out what I want when I bag it and I have enough self control to leave the bags alone for at least a month.

freezeland2

freezeland2

You don't messure the moisture in the stem. You take your readings in the buds. And they work great! I'll never go back to the old school jars after going to the bags. I have Govee meters I thow in the bags with the meters to monitor the temp/RH with my phone or computers. They keep the RH between 58% to 62%. Never get warmer or cooler than room temp there in. Don't have to burp or screw around with them. Let the weed cure for a month or so and it's fine!
Edit - responded to wrong post

ninjadip

ninjadip

Exactly. That one time you forget about your lids will piss you off. Happened to my friend last month. Opened them, got high, remembered the next day about his jars...

freezeland2

freezeland2

Do you touch paint that has a wet paint sign hanging next to it?

Do you touch paint that has a wet paint sign hanging next to it?

Dothraki

Dothraki

No I don’t open them out of curiosity or to grab a bud or two. I leave out what I want when I bag it and I have enough self control to leave the bags alone for at least a month.
Self control? Wtf are you talking about? I grew it to smoke it not to sell it, and not everyone has hordes of stock in their cupboards lol. Try it some time it might help you understand the process and stages of cure a little better.

You seem sour… maybe a little time in a grove bag could do you some good. 😉

Dothraki

Dothraki

FD08F03B FBE8 4226 B44C EA9ED342982C

ninjadip

ninjadip

Yeah I know it take time to build back up that's why I didn't seal this one, as I knew I would keep using that bag. Lol
you can reseal them a few times even before you have to cut a new strip, it's not a one time seal and the bag is trashed. i use a cheap chip bag heat sealer, if you don't overheat and burn holes in the plastic you can peel apart the heat seal without ruining that strip, if you are careful. if you just seal and cut every time you still got a few times before you run out of places to seal. But if you are nice with it i could see them being reused with heat sealing 5+ times or more. for me since the cure is so important, i seal them to maximize their effectiveness. a $10 bag is not a hard hit when you are considering how long you grew to get a harvest, and their semi-reusability. I would never buy an oz or smaller grove bag, get the big 1lb bags, they are tough as hell and only a dollar or two more than the small ones.

just fyi

Dothraki

Dothraki

you can reseal them a few times even before you have to cut a new strip, it's not a one time seal and the bag is trashed. i use a cheap chip bag heat sealer, if you don't overheat and burn holes in the plastic you can peel apart the heat seal without ruining that strip, if you are careful. if you just seal and cut every time you still got a few times before you run out of places to seal. But if you are nice with it i could see them being reused with heat sealing 5+ times or more. for me since the cure is so important, i seal them to maximize their effectiveness. a $10 bag is not a hard hit when you are considering how long you grew to get a harvest, and their semi-reusability. I would never buy an oz or smaller grove bag, get the big 1lb bags, they are tough as hell and only a dollar or two more than the small ones.

just fyi
I was wondering what everyone was using to heat seal. I thought about trying an iron. And yeah, they are cheap as hell. I imagine someone saying…”
I’ll give you a vessel to put the weed in that regulates RH to 58-62%, off-gasses and exchanges 2% oxygen, never need to burp, and has UV protection and only weighs a few grams”

- “oh yeah? How much for a 1 lb size”?
~ “ten bucks”
-“nah, that’s too expensive”

hahaha.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Self control? Wtf are you talking about? I grew it to smoke it not to sell it, and not everyone has hordes of stock in their cupboards lol. Try it some time it might help you understand the process and stages of cure a little better.

You seem sour… maybe a little time in a grove bag could do you some good. 😉
Not sour here. Curing the bud is a big part of the grow. If you want to keep opening the bags and take a sniff by all means knock yourself out. Doing so just interrupts the cure process. Me, I can wait.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I was wondering what everyone was using to heat seal. I thought about trying an iron. And yeah, they are cheap as hell. I imagine someone saying…”
I’ll give you a vessel to put the weed in that regulates RH to 58-62%, off-gasses and exchanges 2% oxygen, never need to burp, and has UV protection and only weighs a few grams”

- “oh yeah? How much for a 1 lb size”?
~ “ten bucks”
-“nah, that’s too expensive”

hahaha.
Food saver machine works well to seal the bag. A clothes iron works good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom